Thread: Optics opinions? 308 mid to mid/long

ambis

Optics opinions? 308 mid to mid/long

I've recently picked up a 10 precision carbine in 308. Hoping it'll be sort of an all around shooter. Use is mostly going to be target/steel at mid range, probably no more than 800 yds. Possibly a deer or a pig or something, too, if opportunity presents.

So, any opinions on optics? Here are some of the options I was looking at but I know there are tons of others out there, I just need them to be pointed out.

Want variable, somewhere in the 15+ max mag. Not sure about budget yet but I'll be lucky if I get the wife's nod for $7-800.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell...iflescope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell...fle-scope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell...pe-mildot.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...fle-scope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-v...iflescope.html

Also, used optics planet just as a price baseline and haven't done any serious shopping for sales. Open to suggestions.

A bone-stock 10PC using Dark Eagle magazines won Top 308 at the Snipers Hide Cup this year...so your rifle should be a pretty decent shooter.

IMO, a 6-24x is far too much magnification (and far too little field of view) for hunting.

I have a Vortex HS-T 4-16x MRAD, have shot it to 1100yd and hunted it in a thick river bottom. IMO a Bushnell Elite Tactical has a slight edge on glass clarity & brightness, but for the money the Vortex is hard to beat if you don't "need" illumination or first focal plane. It also is a reasonable weight, a consideration if you are going to be humping the rifle around any.

I would also recommend the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x and 6-24x (if the magnification/FOV doesn't bother you) with G2DMR reticle from LIBERTY OPTICS.

Weaver Tactical # 800363 only.
    TONS of adjustment range, and a mil/mil that has lockable turrets and passes the tracking tests with flying colors
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

I have one of these on a 10 FP and I like it. Good glass, lots of adjustment range. Made and warrantied by Bushnell. Lots of good features for a very reasonable price.
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...dID=MIBK81001A

ambis
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    A bone-stock 10PC using Dark Eagle magazines won Top 308 at the Snipers Hide Cup this year...so your rifle should be a pretty decent shooter.

IMO, a 6-24x is far too much magnification (and far too little field of view) for hunting.

I have a Vortex HS-T 4-16x MRAD, have shot it to 1100yd and hunted it in a thick river bottom. IMO a Bushnell Elite Tactical has a slight edge on glass clarity & brightness, but for the money the Vortex is hard to beat if you don't "need" illumination or first focal plane. It also is a reasonable weight, a consideration if you are going to be humping the rifle around any.

I would also recommend the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x and 6-24x (if the magnification/FOV doesn't bother you) with G2DMR reticle from LIBERTY OPTICS.
    I didn't know about the 10pc's use in the cup you mentioned. I keep hearing good things, and news like that is always a reminder that the technology is so good today that the user is usually the problem.

I can respect your statement regarding magnification/FOV, but this gun won't be a primary hunter. Only an opportunist hunter. That said, I probably will opt for higher mag. I'm now leaning slightly towards that bushnell 6-24 but the leupy and viper are both very attractive. I feel paralyzed by all the quality and value options.

This may seem like a lame correlate to draw, but is there any reason to look at the msrp vs actual sale price when considering these options? I ask cause the leupold is priced much closer to it's msrp. The other two have much higher msrps and a more significant discount, bringing all three to a similar sale price. Does the higher msrp indicate some features I'm overlooking or is this pure marketing gimmick...50% off!!

Hopefully some more people will chime in with some comparative experience and make it feel like an easier decision.

ambis
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Weaver Tactical # 800363 only.
    TONS of adjustment range, and a mil/mil that has lockable turrets and passes the tracking tests with flying colors
    That's another nice option. I think my budget is getting squeezed to around 600 though...

I'm a big weaver fan for some of their classics...had an old 2-7 power for a long time.

Sent you a PM
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

JCalhoun
    I'm a big fan of the Leupold VX-2 6-18X 40 AO Target.