Thread: Axis .308 Magazine Problem

Unhappy Axis .308 Magazine Problem

I finally made it out to the range with my Axis 308. Got it sighted in with my new scope at 100 yds. with no problem. I was loading only 1 round at a time in the magazine until I got X rings. Then I loaded 3 rounds and chambered the first round and fired. Hit the target just fine then I thought I picked up the second round ( or so I thought ) pulled the trigger and click but no boom. The magazine was under the rifle on the bench. I loaded another round to make 3 rounds in the magazine. I picked up the first round and fired. The magazine fell out of the magazine well again and was on the bench again. I took all rounds out except 1 and fired the magazine fell out again. I noticed the magazine release/locking tab was crack and broke off. Has anyone ever had them had this happen to them? I only have put 16 rounds down range with this rifle everything else was fine.
    USAF 1966 to 1972 KC-135, C-130 and B-52 D and H " We Deliver "

Basic Member
    This seems to be a problem that comes up. The release tab is the weak link to the setup for sure. I have seen a few people use superglue to hold it in place, then cut a small metal strip, bend it to match the contour of the release tab, then epoxy it to the tab. It is ugly, but it works. The aluminum flexes enough to allow it to keep the tab together for a while. It will happen again eventually, or you can call Savage and get a replacement floorplate.

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Just ordered a few extra floorplates from Savage they were only $3.00 a piece and took about a week to arrive.

kencan
    just bought my first gun nice 308 axis, took it out to a friends fired some and yep the magazine pops out a bit so you cant chamber the next round. it looks like the little clip on the butt side is straight(should it be pulled out slightly) it seems other people are having the same issues, ordering a new parts seems wrong as i have put 25 rounds through the gun. anyone have a good fix for me?

MrGiggles
    They generally seem to hold up pretty well, but with the volume of rifles they produce there's bound to be a few bad moldings.

Call Savage. I've never had to deal with them, but hopefully they will send you a new magazine.

Basic Member
    Call Savage and they will sent you a new magazine. Then, order a new floorplate and you'll have two mags. I know -- when I got my .270, the little metal tab at the back of the mag was broken, and even though it still worked they replaced it immediately with no hassle.