Thread: Model 40 22 hornet

lcombs

Model 40 22 hornet

New member here and the proud owner of a Savage model 40 in 22 hornet that is amazingly accurate. Does anyone know what action is used on that model? I am wanting to restock it with a thumbhole varmit stock and it looks like a rimfire action. Any stock suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks,

lcombs

Try here http://www.gunpartscorp.com
    They used to stock the factory version at less than half the price of the factory's.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

My savage laminate stock, which came on my model 40, that I bought new, is marked boyd in the barrel channel. I installed a tacticool on the rifle. Had to drill hole in stock for front action screw since it is further forward, not difficult since hole was partially drilled from Boyds. Unless you can find a single shot stock there will be a big opening for the magazine. Used stock for model 93.

sav250
    It's a rimfire action barrel in that the barrel is sleeved inside the receiver and I think crush fit or pinned fit in place instead of a barrel being screwed on to the receiver. The Hornet doesn't need a threaded barrel and many Hornets that are top of the line from Germany just pin the barrel into the receiver.

It resembles a 93R more than a 110 or 14 or other Savage Centerfire.

Actually the barrel & receiver are threaded. Barrel can be removed from action by taking recoil lug out of receiver.

sav250
    This is the rifle I had. It was single shot from Savage in .22 Hornet. No magazine well just a thumbhole stock and absolute accuracy in the difficult .22 Hornet. It was not a repeater and it was Savage. I bought one from Fenton, MO in Denny Dennis by the famous Gravoi river called something and they tore the bridge down and replaced it with concrete.

This rifle was absolutely utterly accurate in the Hornet. (.22).
    I did not lose it or dump it. I did go through a divorce (the second one) and that rifle somehow got lost in that shuffle.
    As I recall, it did not have barrel threads.

sav250
    Later on I was in the same place and saw the .17 Hornet in a CZ 527 American. I bought it. I had not yet shot a .17 Hornet (or owned one). I put a Leu Hunter 6X fixed with those huge turrets but the reason is this 6X from Leupold (Leupold Competition HUNTER 6X 42mm with minute dot cross hair extremely fine). Serial is B448951 on the 527 and to be honest I prefer the .22 Hornet over the .17 Hornet or any other .17 period. I started with the Rem 700 BDL .17 Remington. That was back in 1986. My first 700 BDL .17. First time out five shots of factory went into under a half inch. While adjusting the sights of the 10X fixed Burris I thought I had a real bomb of a rifle according to all the .17 lovers from the Mach IV Javalina to the .17-.222 Magnum rifles I had shot and seen in 1974 (up to that time). The breeze came in and those groups disappeared as fast as they had appeared.

I'd trust a .22 Hornet or .22 WMR in wind more than a .17 Remington.

Now we have the .17 Hornet and some other rimfire Winchester supreme rimfire magnum called a 17wsm or other. I realize the best powder rifle .17 I ever shot despite the 700 .17 I had and the Javalinas and Mach IVs is this silly .17 HMR.

Some say they use it beyond 100 yards and believe them.

However, the .22 Hornet as it is is one of my most favorites. It is a classic and I relish reinventing the classic.

The 40 was very modern. The one I had shot straighter than most .22 Hornets.

The 25 has come out after and I have no experience or knowledge of the 25 walking varminter.

sav250
    The scope is curious. I am always partial to a fancied up fixed power. Variables have come a long way from the 70s where I first encountered them but I have a really hard time to date to trust a variable to dial a turret while shooting. I like to shoot and LEAVE the crosswires ALONE and estimate on my own what to do to hit the target in a given environment/condition. If I know my rifle is zeroed for 109 yards (.22 Hornet for instance) I know what to do in the field without dealing with a range finder or laser or pacer to the target. I can tell be what it looks to me to be and then do the best to make the rifle and the cartridge make up for my mistakes in firing or estimating range.
    So I start looking for a scope for this CZ 527 model I am vastly familiar with in a cartridge I have hardly heard of until I saw it on the rack.

It was the CZ American in .17 Hornet and really it didn't matter what caliber as long as it wasn't a Creedmor or Krag or Tokarev.

It was taken home along with a Browning X Bolt in .22- 250 Special Varminter Palladin stock 24" barrel thumbhole stock laminated light brown and red and green and lovely with a 4.5-14X Leu VX3. Yeah I'm ready for some more varminting but the .22 Hornet to me is the ticket to real time real historic varminting. Historic varminting was walking out there into the fields and using the least amount of noise and fuss to deal with a varmint. Enter the .22 Hornet. During a Depression.

No round since then has the class.