Thread: Trouble removing smooth barrel nut from model 11

Basic Member

Trouble removing smooth barrel nut from model 11

I have been trying for several hours to get the smooth barrel nut off of my savage model 11. I bought the wheeler action wrench, and the wheeler barrel nut wrench(s), which came with the smooth nut wrench. After about 3 or 4 tries of trying to get the barrel nut wrench tight enough so that the barrel wouldnt spin, the smooth nut wrenche's bolt broke...

Now that the bolt is broken, the only way to get the smooth nut wrench to cinch tight around the nut, is to clamp it into my bench vise:

You can see here I have the smooth nut wrench clamped into the bench vise so that it grabs tight around the barrel nut. I then beat the action wrench bar counter-clockwise towards the wall (towards the tumblers int he background. Is this correct? The barrel just keeps turning.

I just put some pb blaster on the threads inside the receiver, and on the barrel nut. I guess I will let it soak overnight and try again in the morning. If that doesnt work then I guess I will go buy a pipe wrench from harbor freight. Is this what I need? http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch...nch-39644.html

rob.dizz.89
    I believe there was a thread on this the other day. A lot of guys were saying they were having trouble removing the smooth barrel nut with the wheeler wrench or any other smooth ended wrench for that matter. If you dont care about marring the nut a little just get a pipe wrench out and get a healthy bite on it, tap the end of the handle hard a few times and it should come off. If not get a "cheater bar" which will give you more torque and spin it off that way.

And to answer your question about the pipe wrench that one will work, or you could go down to your local auto zone (or whatever auto mart store you have in your town) and rent one for a couple bucks and avoid shipping time.
    Last edited by rob.dizz.89; 06-06-2014 at 01:36 AM.

Use the biggest pipe wrench you can get. Then replace the smooth nut with a slotted one.

Locking this because you posted the exact same thing in the other Smooth Nut thread right below this one and there's no sense in having people reply to it in two different places.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain