I have been trying for several hours to get the smooth barrel nut off of my savage model 11. I bought the wheeler action wrench, and the wheeler barrel nut wrench(s), which came with the smooth nut wrench. After about 3 or 4 tries of trying to get the barrel nut wrench tight enough so that the barrel wouldnt spin, the smooth nut wrenche's bolt broke...

Now that the bolt is broken, the only way to get the smooth nut wrench to cinch tight around the nut, is to clamp it into my bench vise:

You can see here I have the smooth nut wrench clamped into the bench vise so that it grabs tight around the barrel nut. I then beat the action wrench bar counter-clockwise towards the wall (towards the tumblers int he background. Is this correct? The barrel just keeps turning.

I just put some pb blaster on the threads inside the receiver, and on the barrel nut. I guess I will let it soak overnight and try again in the morning. If that doesnt work then I guess I will go buy a pipe wrench from harbor freight. Is this what I need? http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch...nch-39644.html