Thread: Best primer pocket cleaner?

echo5mike

Best primer pocket cleaner?

Gents,
    I have the Lee primer pocket cleaner. And beyond the fact it is a PITA to use on multiple (30 to 50) cases at one sitting, it still seems to leave residue in the pocket after what I conclude is the best it will do. I even take q tips and smush them in there afterwards to continue to get as much residue out as I can that the tool leaves behind. It seems to me a wire brush application of some sort would work better. I looked on Midway and everyone (manufacturers) seems to use the same type.

Thoughts?

emtrescue6

Best primer pocket cleaner?

I use a primer pocket brush on my RCBS case prep station...works just fine. You don't need to get primer pockets mirror shinny clean. Fact is, I don't even clean pocket on my bulk stuff I load like 223 and pistol rounds...and never use to for anything and I never see any difference in performance/accuracy.
    Last edited by emtrescue6; 06-05-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: yaba daba do

Basic Member
    +1....they don't have to be shiny, and there is no advantage to try and make them that way.

Just put the tool in and twist it and move on. Too much messing around and you end up with loose primer pockets prematurely.

Reloading is a great source of relaxation. If any part of it was a PITA, I would just buy factory stuff.

Good Luck! :))

Basic Member
    RCBS makes a hand held cleaner that has interchangeable brush type tips for large and small primer
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/145...ProductFinding
    I use the tips in a cordless drill, works very well, I have used them for several thousand rounds
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by emtrescue6 View Post
    I use a primer pocket brush on my RCBS case prep station...works just fine. You don't need to get primer pockets mirror shinny clean. Fact is, I don't even clean pocket on my bulk stuff I load like 223 and pistol rounds...and never use to for anything and I never see any difference in performance/accuracy.
    I do the same thing and also use the VLP champher and the deburring tool in the other sockets, makes case prep alot easier.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

n4ue
    I have every (almost) primer pocket tool made. I started using a Carbide 'uniformer' years ago, don't even remember the brand...
    I recently bought a couple of Lyman Carbide uniformers for the rest of my brass types. Try one, you will never go back...
    The 'brush' styles work OK, until the bristles start bending. The plain 'ole slotted tips type are OK, too.
    The nice thing about the Carbide 'uniformer' is it cuts a nice square pocket for the primer. Sometimes it cuts and sometimes it doesn't depending on the brass, etc.
    However, the next time, it cleans the pocket perfectly and easily. They are made so they go to the correct depth, no further.....Plus they will last forever!

FWIW

ron

I started using a flat tip screw bit for my LR primer work, not sure what size but I put it in a 1/4" hand held screw driver and it's comfortable on the hands. You'll need to find a good qaulity bit that is brand new and proper fit, not to loose and certainly not to tight. The bit I'm using must be carbide because it is still working excellent after hundreds of cases.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JW View Post
    RCBS makes a hand held cleaner that has interchangeable brush type tips for large and small primer
    I use the tips in a cordless drill, works very well, I have used them for several thousand rounds
    Jack
    Ditto. IF you screw the brush into this, it will more easily chuck up into a drill.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/461...ProductFinding
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

marshall623
    Jack
    I use the lee in a cordless drill , don't need any pressure . I just need to get the crud build up out. I don't clean primer pockets every loading either

echo5mike
    Jack
    Just what I was looking for! Thanks to all.

landphil
    The Dewey "baby crocogator" is an awesome primer pocket tool, well worth the extra 2-3 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    I have every (almost) primer pocket tool made. I started using a Carbide 'uniformer' years ago, don't even remember the brand...
    I recently bought a couple of Lyman Carbide uniformers for the rest of my brass types. Try one, you will never go back...
    The 'brush' styles work OK, until the bristles start bending. The plain 'ole slotted tips type are OK, too.
    The nice thing about the Carbide 'uniformer' is it cuts a nice square pocket for the primer. Sometimes it cuts and sometimes it doesn't depending on the brass, etc.
    However, the next time, it cleans the pocket perfectly and easily. They are made so they go to the correct depth, no further.....Plus they will last forever!

FWIW

ron
    ^this. The uniformers work better than brushes. Put it in a RCBS case prep center with a VLD deburring head ( inside and outside) and you're good to go. The brush head can be used for touch-ups if necessary, but usually isn't.