Thread: McGowan/Shilen SSS/CBI Barrel + B&CMedalist/Choats - 22" bull or 26" varmint?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

McGowan/Shilen SSS/CBI Barrel + B&CMedalist/Choats - 22" bull or 26" varmint?

I posted over in the regular 110 forums to try to decide if I should build my current action or sell and buy an action to build on, or to buy another factory savage. I have gotten to the point where I realize that I want to build onto my model 11 so now I just need to pick a barrel and stock combo, therefore I figured maybe this forum is more appropriate. My goal is to get 125 for my accustock and stock barrel to offset my cost enough to spend between 200-400 out of pocket.

(previous thread for details) http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ade-Sell-Build

I made nerdy spreadsheet for barrels, and their prices with each stock (minus the 125 I speculate getting from the sale of my stock and barrel).

I found a deal on a "one-off" mcgowan 22" bull for $275 I am leaning towards. If not that, I am trying to pick between CBI, Mcgowan, or Shilen SSS 26" varmint contours. If I go with the 22" mcgowen, I will probably splurge a little on the B&C stock. If with any of the CBI, Mcgowan, or Shilen SSS 26", I will probably go with the Choates stock.

I am 95% leaning towards the B&C Medalist so I am mostly wanting input on the barrels.

Do you guys think that 22" mcgowan will easily get me to sub 1/2 MOA? Will the velocity difference be enough to worry about between 22" and 26" shooting mostly 100/200/600 bench rest?
    Last edited by TheHebs; 06-04-2014 at 07:38 PM.