Thread: McGowan/Shilen SSS/CBI Barrel + B&CMedalist/Choats - 22" bull or 26" varmint?

Basic Member

McGowan/Shilen SSS/CBI Barrel + B&CMedalist/Choats - 22" bull or 26" varmint?

I posted over in the regular 110 forums to try to decide if I should build my current action or sell and buy an action to build on, or to buy another factory savage. I have gotten to the point where I realize that I want to build onto my model 11 so now I just need to pick a barrel and stock combo, therefore I figured maybe this forum is more appropriate. My goal is to get 125 for my accustock and stock barrel to offset my cost enough to spend between 200-400 out of pocket.

(previous thread for details) http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ade-Sell-Build

I made nerdy spreadsheet for barrels, and their prices with each stock (minus the 125 I speculate getting from the sale of my stock and barrel).

I found a deal on a "one-off" mcgowan 22" bull for $275 I am leaning towards. If not that, I am trying to pick between CBI, Mcgowan, or Shilen SSS 26" varmint contours. If I go with the 22" mcgowen, I will probably splurge a little on the B&C stock. If with any of the CBI, Mcgowan, or Shilen SSS 26", I will probably go with the Choates stock.

I am 95% leaning towards the B&C Medalist so I am mostly wanting input on the barrels.

Do you guys think that 22" mcgowan will easily get me to sub 1/2 MOA? Will the velocity difference be enough to worry about between 22" and 26" shooting mostly 100/200/600 bench rest?
    Last edited by TheHebs; 06-04-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Basic Member
    Seriously someone help me pick a barrel. I have my first kid due 7/11 and I really wanna get this thing ordered, built, and a load developed before SHTF.

If most of your shooting will be like you said, 100-600 yards then I would go with that 22" bull, and yes 1/2 MOA is a given with some load development, or with some federal gold match.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Ok everything is ordered. I went a bit over budget after shipping and adding a barrel nut and recoil lug, but thats ok.

Dennis@mcgowen was great to deal with.

Keep us informed on how the build goes and the range results.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Keep us informed on how the build goes and the range results.
    Will do. Everything should be in by late next week.

Basic Member
    So I received the stock, barrel, nut and recoil lug. I got the barrel mounted to the action, etcc. However when I went to put the stock on, I realized that a longer front action screw is required. Is anyone aware/familiar with this issue with the B&C stocks? I did some googling and it looks like they are 1/4 - 28 tpi screws. the rear screw is about 1.5" and a little too long, to the point where it sticks up and the bolt face hits it when i slide it forward, so I am thinking I need like 1" to 1.25" long. Do you guys think Ace will have something I can use? I was really looking forward to finding the depth to the lands and getting some rounds loaded up for saturday

Here are some pics from the build:

I had to remove some material from the action wrench so that the little nub on the recoil lug could fit into it:

Last edited by TheHebs; 06-15-2014 at 02:16 AM.

Basic Member
    Im also not sure how I am supposed to get the stock mag to work as a blind mag. I removed the bottom piece from the mag but when I put the whole metal frame and spring and follower in, it sits too high and the bolt hits it and wont go forward. I read that I need a clip to make it work? Does anyone have the part number? For now I think I can just put the spring and follower in to use as a floor plate, and hand feed rounds (which I do 100% of the time anyways).
    Last edited by TheHebs; 06-13-2014 at 02:46 AM.

Team Savage
    Any good hardware store will have the bolts you need
    be careful of the Butt wipe that you are drinking

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    Any good hardware store will have the bolts you need

I will be heading to ace in the morning. It looks like they should have them according to other posts. Most say you just have to cut them down to length.

Any tips on the magazine? What is this "L" bracket people mention? Does anyone have a part number?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    be careful of the Butt wipe that you are drinking
    Dont you judge me

Basic Member
    I went to ACE this morning and got a screw that works for the front action screw. They didnt have the button head screws, so I had to settle with a socket head (cylindrical allen style) 1/4-28tpi x 1.25 . I actualy kinda like this style for the front screw. It seems to have more structural integrity and fits the hole in the B&C stock nicely. You still have to use the button head screws for the rear action screw because it has to fit under the bottom bolt release button.

The screw was a tad too long so I cut it down to size, filed the end smooth and then ran it through a die (which ACE also had).

The new screw uses a 3/16" hex bit which isnt included in my FAT wrench kit, so I went to Harbor Freight (where its guaranteed to work the first time, every time) and got a 100 piece bit set for 10 bucks.

I also had to drill a guide hole for the trigger guard "wood" screw.

I currently am using just the spring and follower as a floor plate and will hand feed. I would still like to figure out the "L" bracket to make my mag work as a blind mag.
    Last edited by TheHebs; 06-14-2014 at 01:42 AM.

Basic Member

The lands measured at 2.298 so I backed my break in loads .015 to 2.283. I loaded some 168 gr hornady match / 44.7 varget / lapua and some 175 gr smk / 43.3 varget / lapua for break in tomorrow. I will start load dev. next week.

What I suggest Hebs is to A) relieve some material so the internal mag sits correct an use homemade metal shims to secure the mag in place. Or preferably plan B) what I did is skim bed the aluminum bedding block with JB weld or devcon which will gain you sojme room for the mag and work on fitting the mag last. You don't want the L clip thing, you could but I'd cut off the top of the part that gets sandwhiched between the action and the stock and the rest of it should secure the mag in tight.

Also make sure your rear tang is free floated if you decide not to bed it.

Basic Member

Smile

I made it to the range today and got the rifle broken in.

I pretty much did a modified version of the break in process on savagearms.com:

I cleaned between the first 3 shots, then cleaned after a 3 shot group, then cleaned after 3 consecutive 4 shot groups, then shot two 4 shot groups in a row, and cleaned.

I followed the cleaning instructions from the tutorial, using hoppes 9, ProShot copper solvent, and balistol.

I used the first 6 shots to sight it in, and here is the first 4 shot group:

I think this rifle is definitely going to be consistent <.5 moa once I dial in a load.

Next up on the mod list is a bigger bolt handle, maybe some duracoat on the action, and eventually a trigger.

I am more than pleased with how it turned out :)

Basic Member
    Well my baby decided to grace us with her presence a couple weeks early, so everything got put on hold. I got a 175 smk + varget ladder in (43.5 gr optimal charge) before the baby came, and I finally got out to the range saturday and put up some groups for a COAL test. It seems to like it right on the lands. I might even try a couple groups jammed into the lands.

My goal was a .5" shooter, and I think with the final load and some trigger time, I have definitely achieved it. A trigger is up next :)

NOTE (I HAD THE RIGHT AND LEFT GROUP SIZES MIXED UP INT HE VERY BOTTOM PAIR OF GROUPS)

These are all 4 shot groups from the COAL test.
    Last edited by TheHebs; 07-16-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Your on the right track, I love the bottom right target. You might also try the 185 Berger Jag's, if you do, PM me for a load that should work. 168's should shoot very well also.

Dennis

Basic Member
    Thanks Dennis. And thanks for the help with the barrel. I am absolutely in love with this gun

Congrats.
    Rifle looks great!

Basic Member
    Awesome looking rifle for sure... I'm going to build one similar to that oneday...

Savage6x284
    First of all CONGRATULATIONS on your first child. A girl too. Cherish every moment and be sure the mother is taken care of. Having children looked very hard and very uncomfortable to me and our ladies need to know we're REALLY happy it is them and not us who has to go through that.
    The human race would have died out long ago if men had to bear children. Women are way tougher than us!

You did a great job on your build. It really looks great and the targets speak for themselves. Excellent!

If you plan on doing more builds you should consider building a lightweight rifle. It is a bit harder to do light right but the first time you carry around a 6 or 7# rifle it may just infect you with Light Rifle Madness. It certainly did for me.

Thanks for sharing.