Thread: Has Anyone used an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning the shell case,s

ClassicCannons

Cool Has Anyone used an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning the shell case,s

Hello
    I just got into reloading my bullets for my Savage Model 10 243. After some bad powder experience. I finely got my act together. Well i want to clean the hulls and tried my tumbler but they didn,t really come out that good they still had residue in the primer socket and residue inside so i,m trying a ultrasonic tank as pictured below have any of you tried this and if so how did it work out i,m going to leave them in their for an hour and see how they come out i know i need the rigth medium for the tumbler what do you recommend walnut shells i have some cool glass beads that are like 1/16 and smaller in dia

Thanks in advance Austin also check out my 243 its a work in progress and i,ll be changing the stock to a pistol grip and i may have to make one

emtrescue6
    Don't use walnut shells...the oil residue on walnut is no bueno! I use corn cob, works great and I can buy it locally in bulk for $1 a gallon bag so changing it out once a year is super cheap even with multiple tumblers. I don't like the ultra-sonic cleaners because of the chemicals they use. I know people who also use rice, and that also works well and is cheap. I am very happy with corn, I add a little citrus polish (Cabelas branded) and I let my shells tumble overnight usually....yes, the primer pockets still have a little residue in them but I always hand clean every primer pocket anyway...my brass is always bright and clean. Some people also like to use the stainless steel method...it's a little spendy to get started with but lasts forever and cleans very well.

One of my shooting partners used the ultrasonic tank for a while. They work great. However, while clean brass looks good it won't cause an increase in accuracy. I gave it up years ago.....way too much work and not enough result!

n4ue
    All I use in my ultrasonic cleaner is water an a teaspoon of Lemi-shine. They come out very clean but don't have a nice finish like corn does.
    If you have a PetSmart locally, they have all kind of cool polishing media disguised as small critter litter, and cheap.

The ultimate case cleaner is the stainless steel media combined with a Thumbler's Tumbler. I made a small version and the ss (which lasts forever) even gets the primer pockets clean.
    Alas, it's still a lot of work, for the results, unless you are really, really bored.... ha ha

ron

emtrescue6
    Yeah, keep in mind...the only reason you need to clean your brass really is to keep your dies from getting scratched...there's no performance benefit. That being said, I too like clean shinny brass...which is why I use corn and simply let them tumble overnight...they come out shinny clean.

Basic Member
    I like to clean the brass because it's easier to detect any flaws on a shiny piece of brass. Sometimes those hairline cracks don't show up really well under the burnt powder residue that collects.

Basic Member
    Stainless steel is the way to go and the way I'm going in the near future. I like my stuff clean and my nerve issues in hands will make it easy to spend the money to not hand clean primer pockets. Yes, that's another can of worms but I'll try not to open it.

I tumble in corncob currently but am also going to add an ultrasonic tank to the arsenal, but mainly because I can use it for lots of engine parts.

Your case mouths look as though you've trimmed them but not deburred or chamfered. Don't forget!

FarShot
    I have an Ultrasonic bath, I find it really good at removing rust from steel and iron but not so good on cleaning brass. It is certainly better than a vibratory tumbler for getting rid of deposits on case interiors. If you use a lube on neck sizing and primer removal, degrease. We don't have "lemiShine" here is Australia but an internet search suggests it is mainly citric acid anyway. My preferred mix is Acetic acid (white vinegar) 15-20%, a good pinch of table salt, and a few drops of washing up liquid. It helps to just have one layer of cases in the bath at a time. I've tried Citric Acid instead of Vinegar and found it to be far more aggressive at attacking the brass and more likely to discolour later. A second run through with very dilute bicarb or washing soda will neutralise acid, a third run being plain water. If oven drying keep temp below 75c to prevent cases darkening. The whole process taking 3 to 4 hours and a lot of rinsing and liquid changing. At the end surfaces whist clean still look rough to me. It doesn't burnish or polish.

By far the best purchase I've made is a barrel tumbler and stainless pin media. 2 hours in that with a little burnishing compound and perfect, inside and out. Quick rinse, towel and oven dry at 70 and result - a pale brass colouration all over. I've stopped using the ultrasonic bath altogether now. .

n4ue
    Quote Originally Posted by Maztech89 View Post
    Stainless steel is the way to go and the way I'm going in the near future. I like my stuff clean and my nerve issues in hands will make it easy to spend the money to not hand clean primer pockets. Yes, that's another can of worms but I'll try not to open it.

I tumble in corncob currently but am also going to add an ultrasonic tank to the arsenal, but mainly because I can use it for lots of engine parts.

Your case mouths look as though you've trimmed them but not deburred or chamfered. Don't forget!
    Yep, last year, I made a small cleaner based on the SS media (2 LBS). Now, realize I've been reloading for 4 DECADES and I like my brass clean. Call me OCD, I don't care...I made the upgrgde to the Thumbler 15 lb capacity model with 5 lbs brass comes out! I have several vibrating tumblers, which SUCK in comparison!
    PERIOD!!!

ron

There is a very good article on Accurate Shooter you should read. I went this route and it works very well, clean inside and out.

gotcha
    I have to agree with WBM, I still use a Tumbler but recently switched my Media to Comet brand, long grain, white rice. You can buy this stuff in 50 lb bags for about $38.00. Also available in 2, 5, 10 & 20lb sizes. I've got 100 rounds running in the tumbler right now. The cleaning quality is excellent for interiors & primer pockets and doesn't clog flash holes. I knew that sooner or later someone would come up with a better tumbling media. NEVER would have guessed it would be white rice :) NONE of the dust associated with treated media. Just add 1 tbsp. of mineral spirits and 1tbsp car polish. Run tumbler for two hrs. to thoroughly coat the rice and your ready to add your brass. I got this tip recently on another site. The results have been OUTSTANDING!!...... I'm not positive but I think most any brand of long grain, white rice would be O.K................ Forgot to add, No chop sticks necessary
    Last edited by gotcha; 07-20-2014 at 07:08 PM.