Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First competition ever, with an Axis. 2014 Bangsteel Challenge

Cool First competition ever, with an Axis. 2014 Bangsteel Challenge

So a couple buddies and I had been trying to make it to our first match up at Bangsteel. It's a range/school about 3 hrs from us. They had been once before and watched a match. Everything was shot from the prone position, kinda basic, $30 entry fee. We thought it'd be a great place to start. Bangsteel posted on their FB page on thursday I believe that they had a match on saturday. We hadn't heard about that one, but decided to load some ammo and head up there. I had literally just finished doing an OCW load test for my Axis, and decided on a load. I loaded the required 50 rounds for the match, and some extra to go zero the gun and attempt to get some DOPE so I'd know what the gun was doing for the match. So I zeroed at 100 with 3 rds, shot 4 rds at 300, and 3 rds at 477. That was the farthest I could get with such a limited time to get it done. No chrono, so I had to guess at a velocity based on turret settings.

I was up til 1am loading the last of the bullets, got up at 4am and jumped in the truck to meet up with them and head to Bangsteel. We got there, went to sign up, and were told it was $100 a person...

Ummm, excuse me, what? I looked at my buddy and said, 'Uhhh, what did you get us into? HAHAHA'

They proceeded to tell us this was the 2014 Bangsteel Challenge, and we'd be shooting off of a cattle gate, a rock formation in the ground, and from prone. Oh boy. Sounds like I'm in way over my head. We thought we'd just be laying out on the hillside, shooting prone all day. Boy were we wrong. Luckily 2 of us had some extra cash, so after paying the entry fees, we were left with $10 between the 3 of us...

There were shooters from all over there, including 3 or 4 guys from a long range shooting team. LOTS of $5k-10k sticks. Everyone running Nightforce, Schmidt, etc. Big bucks. Needless to say I was a little nervous to pull my Axis out of the bag with an SWFA fixed 16x42 on it. At least it's in a Boyds Tacticool so maybe it'll blend in a LITTLE better... lol

Here's the short description Dan posted elsewhere, so I don't have to do it... lol

"Shooters completed 6 target stages in two separate squads prior to the break for lunch. During the lunch break, scores were tallied to rank standings at that point in the match. For the seventh and final stage, we began from the bottom scores and worked our way up, placing two shooters at a time on the line to each engage his own 18 inch plate at 888 yards at the "go" command. The first shooter to hit scored 100 points, then the second shooter was given 30 seconds to hit his plate with one shot for a score of 50 points. This does have the potential to swing the scores significantly, and the leading scores can change suddenly during this stage. Since shooters are placed two by two on the line based on points scored up to that point in the match, each shooter is pitted against another of equal aptitude. The stage culminates with the top two shooters in the match at that point shooting against each other, and a 50 to 100 point separation will be the result. A second of difference in target engagement and hit speed often makes the difference."
    Here are a few pictures we snapped over the course of the day.

So at the end of the day, scores were tallied, and my little Savage Axis 308 hurt a lot of feelings... I ended up placing 3rd out of 24, and being the top .308 shooter that day. When we got there and found out what kinda match it was, I had no idea I'd even be in the top half of the pack.

I was extremely surprised, and obviously ecstatic. What an awesome day.

Man good for you!!!! That's says a lot about your shooting skills that you place so high against rigs costing 10 times yours.

Basic Member
    yep love it when people think you can't compete with a Savage!

Basic Member
    Excellent Job!!

Basic Member
    HAHA! You have posted this on the hide haven't you? Good shooting!
    NRA Life Member

Team Savage
    great shooting

That's absolutely awesome! You make us Savage guys proud.

seanhagerty
    Very cool. Congrats on your win. I am looking forward to a trip out to bangsteel at the end of July.

Very nice pics too. I love the panoramic view.

Congrats. That had to give you a smile that didn't wipe off for a week, and some of those other guys were probably scratching their heads or swearing the whole way home.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Hah, there is a thread on the hide about the shoot. If you go to the Tactical Competition forum, there's a thread on the Bangsteel Challenge with info, and results. I posted the pics in there as well. I really only went to have fun and learn, and was positive I was in WAY over my head. I was one hit away from being 2nd place overall too, which would've been even better.

Thanks for all the compliments guys, really. And yeah boots, I'm pretty sure there were some unhappy people... lol

Sean, you going to the team shoot? I really wanna go with my buddy that went this weekend, but he can't go that weekend. Hoping I can find someone else to go. Got one other guy I need to ask.

Nicely done! Both you and your rifle were up to the task.

Basic Member
    An axis beating a bunch of gap's, gotta love it.

Basic Member
    This is my point most of the time, if you have a well performing rifle with the basics set up solid with a good load it's all about whose driving the rifle. Just because you shoot a $5K custom rig or own several does not mean your a flippin sniper.

bremereric
    Good job.

seanhagerty
    Yes, I am going for the team shoot. My shooting buddy and I are going to drive out. I wish you luck with finding a partner.

Sean

Right on! If I go I'll make sure to find you and introduce myself.

dam straight!....woohoo!...theres nothing better than to serve up humble pie quietly. I so love to show up to local range,s and set-up next to fellow shooters that have spent plenty on there rigs (and I mean plenty)...start sending rounds and hitting whatever distances they call from 200 out to 1K with my stock 10FCP-HS in 308 and a $149.99 6x24x44 BSA Tactical Scope.
    Ive been picked on, preached on, had shoulders shrugg,d on when they see the scope. I say not a word. I simple start sending and start hitting, I wont glowt, nor mumble a single word.
    IMO...For the money?......You just cant beat a Savage. Im loyal Savage Fan.
    Way to go Dude!...........................
    Good luck on further competition. Keep it humble.......keep it nice and tight......Let your shooting do the talking.
    Man I would so love to attend this function. I know Id pick up some good pointers and different ideas.
    Last edited by eddiesindian; 06-04-2014 at 11:48 PM.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    I would like to see pictures of your Axis.

I've been saying I was going to put together a build thread, but have never done it. I'll just post a few here. If I ever get around to doing a thread, I'll post all the progress pics as well. This is how it sits currently.

Basic Member
    It looks as good as it shoots. I have a Savage 10LE .223 I use for prairie dogs and a Savage 110 in .300 WinMag build I'm working on. The .223 is a shooter
    and .300 WinMag is looking good. Awesome scenery at the shoot. Looked like a fun time.

Love the "spanking" you gave the high dollar rigs! Great shooting!

Basic Member
    you must be one heck of a shot.
    good work!

Sporter barrel?

Thanks guys, yep, sporter barrel.

223 4 me
    Congrats on the outstanding shooting, and thank-you for shareing your story&pics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast