Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 110 25-06 heavy barrel - first time out

deerandduck

Savage 110 25-06 heavy barrel - first time out

I recently got a 25-06 heavy barrel from a fellow member and got it put into a 110 action. I put the old Stevens 200 stock on it ( with barrel channel enlarged) and got it to the range today. I tried 2 loads with the Nosler 100 gr BT bullets & 2 medium loads of IMR4350.
    First load of 5 shots went into 0.8" group and the other load was slight over 1.0". I am well pleased for initial loads, this shows lots of potential.
    Considering a cheap stock, no bedding, & beginning loads, I am well pleased.

Deerandduck

Basic Member
    I am a huge fan of the 25-06 myself. I have a bone stock sporter with nothing more than than a free floated barrel and cleaned up 3 screw trigger that should be an advertisement for a Savage. It is a freak accuracy wise, it'd make guys with coopers and sakos cry if they wanted to compare accuracy per dollar, or just accuracy straight up. 55 grains of IMR 4350 under a 75 grain Vmax is an awesome groundhog load at 3400fps and scary accurate. I use it once in a while for deer too with a 117 SST over 48.5 gr 4350 and it's a shooter load too.

What are your primary goals/targets with it? Mine is a walking gun for hunting with ugly spray painted camo job but it's a nice groundhog and coyote weapon with easy to handle recoil.

Best of luck with yours!!

Team Savage
    It only gets better

If you want to have some real fun, try those same Nosler's only they 85gr ones,

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    And some rl17

Yeah what he said,

Hey Keith

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    I can run those 75vmax at 3750fps, and destroy a yote

Basic Member
    I'm sorry, just checked my notes. I run those vmax at 3975fps.
    Hey Dean

deerandduck
    Wow you guys are streaking these things....It must literally explode on a coyote or anything else for that matter.

I was just looking for a fairly mild (about 3000 fps) to do some major damage on a few deer in a heavy stand gun.

thanks,
    Deerandduck

Basic Member
    I was just looking for a fairly mild (about 3000 fps) to do some major damage on a few deer in a heavy stand gun.
    I've killed dozens of deer with my .25-06. Great deer gun! I load 49.0 gr of IMR4350 under 110 gr Nosler Accubonds at approximately 3200 fps.

And also don't over look Sierra's 70gr and 90 gr Blitz kings, and Hybrid HV100 powder.

Dean

Basic Member
    I watched a buddy in the Marine Corp kill two mule deer standing side by side at well over 400 yards with a 25-06...we did not know there were two deer there till we walked up on them...both dead where they stood...neck shot on both...broke both necks milliseconds apart...he thought it was one deer...had to use one of my tags to cover our asses...

Basic Member
    The only thing I can think of better than the 25-06 on deer is the 25-06ai. I've never so much as tracked a deer with either of mine in 20+yrs

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeki View Post
    The only thing I can think of better than the 25-06 on deer is the 25-06ai. I've never so much as tracked a deer with either of mine in 20+yrs
    Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe its that the Marines really taught me to shoot but I've never had one take another step...always dropped right in there tracks...up close inside 150 yards does get a head shot, bucks get neck shot, center mass on the neck about where his adams apple would be...LIGHTS OUT...further out than that its right behind the shoulder blade and destroys heart-lungs...I use Seirra 175 Match Kings...they are thin walled and explosive on impact...they dump nearly all there energy into the animal...very accurate too...head/neck shots dont waste any meat either and low on the ribs and behind the should I dont screw up much there either...

Quote Originally Posted by keeki View Post
    I concur with that, a 25-06 AI is in 257 Weatherby Territory. I had a straight 25-06 then I sent it out to AI it big difference.

Dean

Ive got a 257 roy...first 25cal I've had, theyre awesome...probably one of my favorite deer calibers....deadly on em to say the least and very accurate
    Dean, what kinda speed are you getting out of the AI?
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Big fan myself. Also a big fan of my 25/300WSM. I have a sporter and a varminter in 25-06
    If I ever have to sell out they will be the last to go.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    Ive got a 257 roy...first 25cal I've had, theyre awesome...probably one of my favorite deer calibers....deadly on em to say the least and very accurate
    Dean, what kinda speed are you getting out of the AI?
    This is the same barrel that I rechambered into a AI so it is a good comparison, it is a 26" 12 twist Mcgowen, with those 75 Vmax's, I was getting 4000 fps with a full case of RL17,
    then the AI with a full case 5gr more, I got 4200 Fps, my 257 Weatherby with 26" 12 twist I get 4500, with those same 75gr Vmax's and 75gr of RL17.

Thanks Dean

Very impressive....I've not shot any of the lighter bullets out of mine, I got it late in the summer that year, got it ready for hunting season with 115gr berger over IMR7828. With a 24in barrel I am getting a tad over 3300, and got really good accuracy so I left it be. Correct me if Im wrong but isnt the 12 twist the older twist the original 257s came with? Maybe I'll try some of the lighter ones soon and see how mine compares to yours. Thanks for the info!
    Scooter

One more thing don't kid yourself, just because it is a 12 twist doesn't mean I cant send those 115 & 120gr bullets, because I can, there just not as fun.

Dean

PS: I did not know that about the 12 twist thingy, I just ordered a 12 twist since that is my shooting style, since you are a quarter bore fan, I thought you might appreciate, I have a 25 cal Remington ultra mag it is a 30" 14 twist, that I have to take a double take whenever I look at they ammo.LOL
    Last edited by scope eye; 06-04-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Dean,
    Wow! Umm Id some details on that. Makes my roy sound like a 25acp :D .....pics and numbers please.....and accuracy? Do you even get it sighted in before the barrel is toast?

A pox on all of you!! After reading this thread I'm MIGHTY interested in this here 25-06--a caliber I know nothing about--don't have any 25's--but sounds tempting. So--if I bought a 30-06 can I simply switch barrels--or is there more to it than that?
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Thats all ya need for it, 25 cal are pretty impressive in my opinion. Low recoil, great accuracy and kill like lightning.

I could put up a good argument, that a 25 cal is one of the most versatile calibers there is.

Dean

PS: You can neck down your 30-06 brass to 25-06

I was afraid it be that simple! : ) Now I'm REALLY REALLY tempted! Is stocking up a good stash of these bullets going to cost more than the rifle? Any opinions on whether it's worth it to go AI or not?
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast