Thread: Run out, Hornady concenticity tool and Lee crimp

echo5mike

Run out, Hornady concenticity tool and Lee crimp

Gents,
    So I was thinking...

I recently have been recording (more casually than scientifically) that my groups with more run out are not as accurate as one's with less, which makes sense to everyone.

So I have this Hornady concentricity tool that not only checks run out, but allows you to adjust the run out favorably. The tool works well, as I stated, for checking and recording run out but my confidence wanes when it comes to pushing a seated bullet and it not somehow affect (or is it effect?) neck tension or god knows what other variable that I may or may not have ever heard of.

My thinking is that if I use the tool to get my run out to zero and then use my Lee crimp die, be it light, heavy or somewhere in between, then perhaps I could mitigate any neck tension concerns that might arise in the aforementioned. Although who knows, maybe the crimp die may affect run out too.(DOH!)

Just so you know:
    Have not used Hornady tool as of yet for run out correction.
    Use Forster ultra micrometer seating die.
    Run out is usually between .001 and .002

Thoughts?

Vince
    I don't crimp my rifle rounds but I do use my Hornady concentricity tool.
    Factory rounds are crimped and I've used the Hornady concentricity tool and adjusted cartridges with it. I'd try not crimping first and then using the Lee crimp die. I've found my best accuracy not crimping for bolt action rifles.
    Last edited by Vince; 06-07-2014 at 04:45 PM. Reason: typo

Basic Member
    I have the same tool. I have read that trying to correct the runout by pushing the seated bullet does not work well. It will straighten it, but not a good solution due to something to do with damaging the grip on the bullet.

I have found the Lee Collet Neck Sizing die prevents runout in the first place. A better alternative is premium bushing dies, but I don't think I am ready or good enough yet to use them to their full potential. The LCNS is easy, requires no lube and, basically, gets the job done.

echo5mike
    I should have mentioned in my first post, that I am using the Lee Collet die and still get a little more run out than I like. I might look into the bushing dies you mentioned though.

Basic Member
    Really? I have never bothered looking at the gage close enough to see how it is graduated/marked for measuring the run out, but I can say the needle thing barely moves on 99% of my loads. I use Lapua for .223, 6br, 260, 260 AI (one rifle uses Nosler) and 308. Remington for 25-06 and 30-06. I also use RCBS or Lee for seating. I was surprised by how well my Lee seating dies work. Just started using them.
    Anyhow, I had a lot of run out before I switched to the LCNS dies.

Basic Member
    Before you spend the cash on those expensive dies, you might try what I do. I barely start the bullet as straight as I can. Then I rotate the case 180dgrs and seat it another 1/16". Then 90dgrs, then 180dgrs, and keep repeating until the bullet is seated. I've had my BIL check them on his gauge, and they come out the same as the ones he seats in his inline dies. It is a slow process, but I am a low volume reloader, so I don't mind. :))

Basic Member
    Yep. I turn 'em 2x sometimes 3x. Don't pay much attention to how much. Just a little bit.

Basic Member
    I also turn the case about 1/8 of a turn (or more) when using the LCNS die and run it again.

Basic Member
    Yup +1

echo5mike
    Good stuff fellas! That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I hope it helped some others along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Before you spend the cash on those expensive dies, you might try what I do. I barely start the bullet as straight as I can. Then I rotate the case 180dgrs and seat it another 1/16". Then 90dgrs, then 180dgrs, and keep repeating until the bullet is seated. I've had my BIL check them on his gauge, and they come out the same as the ones he seats in his inline dies. It is a slow process, but I am a low volume reloader, so I don't mind. :))
    +1......works for me as well.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I also turn the case about 1/8 of a turn (or more) when using the LCNS die and run it again.
    +1.......do the exact same thing
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Yep! Me to...as per the suggestion in the LEE instructions! :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5mike View Post
    Just so you know:
    Run out is usually between .001 and .002

Thoughts?
    Tools such as the Hornady measure TIR, total indicated runout. The "off center" runout is 50% of TIR, so if your ammo has .001"-.002" TIR the actual off center roundout is .0005-.001".

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    Tools such as the Hornady measure TIR, total indicated runout. The "off center" runout is 50% of TIR, so if your ammo has .001"-.002" TIR the actual off center roundout is .0005-.001".

Bill
    That's pretty good, isn't it? Is there any point to trying to improve on that?

Basic Member
    Is there any point to trying to improve on that?
    Its nothing I'd would waste my time on.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

That's pretty good, isn't it? Is there any point to trying to improve on that?
    IMO....no.
    {John Wayne}

echo5mike
    Learn something on here all the time...
    Thanks Gents!