Thread: Article: Savage Model 42 Combination Gun Review

Article: Savage Model 42 Combination Gun Review

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I have had a few .410 restrictions bored out of my .410s for use with slugs. Ohio WAS a shotgun only state, and my young sons started deer hunting at age eight (not getting into the debate of the use of a .410 on deer, but the .410 cleanly harvested every deer that the shotgun was fired at [and we never took shots over thirty yards]). Although a full cylinder bore is a bad choice for shotgun patterns with shot, it does not malform the slug and leads to MUCH greater precision when shooting slugs. Albeit I agree with your assessment on this firearm, this firearm may make a great single shot slug gun for youth hunting in shotgun only states.

Even Ohio had banned .410's for slug hunting for a great many years. If memory serves me correctly it was until sometime in the late 90's or early 2000's that they started allowing them again as I had to leave my NEF single-shot .410 at home and carry a 20-gauge when I first started deer hunting as a wee pup in the mid 1980's. I don't see the Model 42 as being a suitable slug gun at all though. To me it's a rabbit and squirrel gun geared toward a younger shooter that will give them both options to choose from to match the conditions or situation.

Basic Member
    I should be a good pest/truck gun as well, you have the choice of a 22 rimfire, 410 shotshells, and I would imagine 410 slugs or maybee buckshot should work for coons, coytes ect.