Thread: SS .260 thread question

SS .260 thread question

I bought a SS .260 barrel from a member and upon receiving the barrel I noticed after removing the shipping wrap that about 1/2" down the threads and about 1/8 wide the threads were missing. Assuming they got galled up sometime and someone turned the bad threads off, does this lead to problems? Is it safe?
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

Basic Member
    If it was a used barrel chances are pretty good the guy didn't bother checking the front mount screw length before he installed it so it messed up the barrel threads when he removed the barrel.

You'll most likely need to clean them up to turn it in the action and put the nut on but it should be OK to install and shoot.

Can you post a picture if it?

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

I agree with you BillPa, the missing threads looks to align up where the front base mount screw would be.
    Looks like he cut the messed up threads off with a lathe. I have it all head spaced in an action or I would post some pic's of it.
    It screwed on the action with ease, no problem what so ever.

Just wondering if there might be a problem with it like it is....
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

Basic Member
    I'm no engineer, but I gotta think there's more than enough threads still there to hold it safely. I'm betting you could remove 2/3rd of the threads and it would still hold.

It will be fine, but from your post you were obviously not aware of this, when you consummated the transaction, I don't care who it is, all I can say is NOT COOL.
    Full Disclosure on condition of wares sold.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    it will be fine, but from your post you were obviously not aware of this, when you consummated the transaction, i don't care who it is, all i can say is not cool.
    Full disclosure on condition of wares sold.

Dean
    +1

absolutely!

Basic Member
    As a public service BEFORE installing screws make , steal or borrow( forget to return) one of this here thingies....

Its a simple depth gauge. It especially useful to prevent wreaking barrel threads!

With the mount on the rifle or barrel loosen the weighted rod and let it drop until it bottoms out on something. Snug the thumbscrew the compare the rod protrusion to the screw threads.

At a glance you can see if a screw is too long, too short or just right. Its an ingenious little gadget, I wish I would have thought of it!

Bill
    Last edited by BillPa; 05-31-2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: I'm old...lemmiy me alone!
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Mr. Bill, once again you have demonstrated that you are just "amazing"!

But please don't let it go to your head! :-))

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Mr. Bill, once again you have demonstrated that you are just "amazing"!
    Not really, I just do silly things like checking if there is water in the pool before going off the high board.

That type of gadget is probably at least few hundred years old. They were used by carpenters to gauge the depth of holes, mortices and etc. We just adapted it as a simple,quick and dirty way to see if mount screws are too long, too short or just right.

Now, if you can convince Maw (wife) I'm amazing...........

Bill