Thread: Model 12 F/TR 0.308 rifle - factory stock v's LVT stock from SSS

zulu_dawn

Model 12 F/TR 0.308 rifle - factory stock v's LVT stock from SSS

Hello all,
    i am new convert to Savage.
    i have a Model 12 F/TR 0.308 with Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 up top.

i main ambitions is to partake in F/TR competitions here in Ireland.
    Shooting ranges from 600 to 800 yards at present, but will be moving out to 900 and 1000 yards in due course.
    my annoyance?? - query design fault on model 12 f/tr rifle
    every time i want to clean the rifle, i have to unscrew the raised cheek piece?
    [i simply cannot get the extra long dewey rod and breech guide to line up with the cheek piece in-situ]
    i have struggled with this for some time since last autumn.
    i have half decided to change the stock and to this end i have found upon, SSS - http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/, in particular the LVT stock - Laminate Varmint Tactical Stock.

have any of you changed stocks?
    have any of used the LVT from SSS?

any views?

thanks in advance
    yours
    new to F/TR from and in Ireland

Competitions wise -
    the weight limit for Ftr is 18lbs 2oz (8.25 kg) (290 oz) F/TR competition limit = (1lb = 16oz)
    Savage Model 12 = 12.65 lbs (202.4 oz)
    Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 = 34 oz
    Harris Bipod = 10 oz or (Weil Bipod = 19 oz)
    sub-total =

Re: Model 12 F/TR 0.308 rifle - factory stock v's LVT stock from SSS

Yes, the factory cheekpiece is an annoyance at best. The first thing I recommend people do is pitch it and get an adjustable saddle cheekpiece from Karsten, which you can install yourself at home in about 15 minutes with a cordless hand drill.

Here are a couple pictures for ya...

[img width=600 height=450]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/milanuk/gun_stuff/firearms/IMG_0076-a.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/milanuk/gun_stuff/firearms/IMG_0077-a.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/milanuk/gun_stuff/firearms/IMG_0080-a.jpg[/img]

That's what a couple of us on the USA F/TR team used @ Bisley in the FCWC last summer, and when Team Savage continued up to Ireland to shoot @ the Midlands Centre afterwards. Factory stock (with that modification), factory barrel, either NF or Farrell base, NF or Burris rings, NF NXS 12-42x scope, and bipods ranging from a Harris BRMS 6-9" (swivel, notched legs) with Pod-Loc & Pod-Paws to a GG&G to an early Cen-Shot (Weil) model, etc. None of the guns had any problem making weight. Mine with the Karsten cheekpiece, 12-42x NXS, Farrell base, Burris rings, 1" thick Limbsaver recoil pad (to extend the LOP) and the aforementioned Harris bipod (with all the extras) still came up shy of 18lbs - 17.8 or 17.9, IIRC. Same gun weighed in at something like 17.68lbs the other day at the current US FCNC in Sacramento.

That Karsten cheekpiece is probably the single best upgrade to that rifle, and as I've told people before... the best $50-60 USD I've spent on gun stuff I've got one of the LVT stocks (actually a Stockade Prairie Dog Special, the basis for the LVT) and honestly for roughly the same amount of money ($50 for the adjustable comb on the LVT stock, vs. ~$60 for the Karsten cheek piece)... I'd go with the Karsten, mainly for personal preference - I just can't make myself warm up to the 'look' of the cut for the comb cheekpiece. Others probably feel the same way about saddle cheekpieces. But then you have the whole cost of the LVT stock, etc.... I'd just get the Karsten cheekpiece and get busy shooting.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, or send me an email. Noel Kelly (president of the Irish NRA) should be able to put you in touch with a number of folks there in Ireland that are shooting Savage rifles competitively in F/TR as well.

HTH,

Monte

I dug around and found a couple more pictures of that cheekpiece 'in action'...

My wife's F-Class rifle - Stockade 'Prairie Dog Special', the fiberglass pre-cursor to the SSS LVT, with a Karsten cheekpiece:

[img width=600 height=449]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/milanuk/gun_stuff/matches/2008%20BCRA/2008-BCRA022.jpg[/img]

Me shooting my 12 F/TR rifle with the Karsten cheekpiece @ Chilliwack, British Columbia (Canada):

[img width=600 height=449]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/milanuk/gun_stuff/matches/2008%20BCRA/2008-BCRA028-1.jpg[/img]

(the shiny stuff was aluminum aircraft tape used in an attempt to keep water out of the bedding, as it had been absolutely pouring down rain about 30 minutes earlier...)

zulu_dawn

thanks meminaluk,

i have just sourced the web site and fired off an email, http://karstenskydexcheekrest.com/

yes, today i was shooting at the national range, meet noel kelly, i had to pass regards onto him from john weil as well.

i am getting to know the who is who? and picking up some key learning points along the way.

thanks for the tip (the money i save on the replacement stock, will be redirected to some more rounds and trigger time....)

yours in sport
    Zulu_dawn

First thing i did when i purchased my Savage 12F/TR two years ago was to get me a Karsten cheek rest almost as good as the rifle.

barthmonster

Just got a used F/TR this is good to know about the clearning...

In addition I hava a question, what is the correct bipod to mount to the 'slot' in the bottom of the forend ?? Is that 'slot' for moving the bipod attachment point fore and aft ??

Thanks in advance ! Dang this thing has a nice, fat barrel !!

Is that 'slot' for moving the bipod attachment point fore and aft ??
    Basically, yes. Most bipods seem to come ready to attach to some sort of sling stud mounting point; a few attach to picatinny rail blocks (like the GG&G) but there are adapter blocks for those that mount to... a sling rail. At least one bipod (Center Shot) mounts directly into the sling rail.

One hint for shaving a couple inches off the weight if you are too close or over the limit: take the sling rail off, shorten it up with a hack saw (redneck, but it works) just leaving enough for two screws to engage and remount it.