Thread: Customizing Rifle

Basic Member

Customizing Rifle

Hey guys,It's been a while since I've been here.
    Recently I got a savage 110E in .243 Winchester, a used one in long action setup.
    I was able to try it about a month ago, without making any changes to it and after zeroing in a Vortex Diamondback scope 4-12x40mm BDC I was able to put 3 bullets in about 1 inch at 100yds off sandbags.

Here is the sweety:

My plan is to bed the stock and forearm, which despite not being as flimsy as I though it would, it can still benefit. Not sure if its worth adding pillars to it.

I have also been thinking about shortening the forearm by about 2" removing the front "well" and moving the sling attachments point back to remove potential flex. I may even bed in an arrow shaft in it for some more stability. I was thinking hacksaw/circular saw and Bondo, however I know that working with a synthetic might be more work than benefit.

I have ordered some Grovtec flush cups and 1 1/4"swivels (http://www.grovtec.com/catalog/gt-sw...t-gtsw-295-78/, but I am torn about location (L side of stock for carrying flat) or the conventional bottom. Would love to do that at the same time as bedding, but it could be done afterwards.
    There is a stud adaptor, which is removable too, but I don't have a bipod and I'm not sure if I will really want one (thinking Harris Swivel 6-9") and that would go in the bottom.
    I am also thinking about contouring the grip a little and adding a palm swell to it.

Would you guys add any bedding compound on the mag box? or let it be where ever it its after focusing on the action and recoil lug?
    I kind of like the stock color, so may keep it that way.
    It may become a sleeper gun if I can make reloads work... with my (gulp) Lee Dies and Sierra 100gr flat base seconds. Love it when I show up at the range with my vanilla 7mmRM and guys come to ask
    "Nice stock! What gun is that you're shooting, "
    "I refinished it. It's a 7 mag, Savage 110"
    "Oh!"
    and they quietly walk away....

If it were me ,I would throw the stock out and get a Boyd's stock and never look back.That stock will accept pillars and it is so more rigid that it makes the stock you have seem like a wet noodle.Dont waste your money trying to improve what is inferior by design.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    I have to agree. It's one thing if you love the rifle and parts availability/affordibility is an issue, but you could get a boyds stock or a Choate Sporter if you want to stay synthetic. The Choate has an Aluminum bedding block which makes it very sturdy. A little heavier, but solid stock to build on.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. I have decided to work on it. Not expecting great results necessarily, but I enjoy working and learning how to do it.
    More than money, the investment will be my time, and if I am going to chuck the stock anyway I may learn the skills at least :)