Thread: I'm a pistol shooter, but this was a good day at 547 yards with the Savage 10 and XLR

I'm a pistol shooter, but this was a good day at 547 yards with the Savage 10 and XLR

I haven't been on this board much since starting bullseye competition, but I got a chance to get the bolt gun out and shoot it this weekend. Took me a few rounds to get the basics down and to home in on the dials for the 175 gr ammo after shooting 168, but it all came together. I love my Savage bolt gun!

http://youtu.be/6QHd16p12Sw

This is fun.

Joe
    Savage 10 FCP-K with Bushnell 3.5-21x50 scope, lots of SIG Pistols.

Team Savage
    Great shooting

Basic Member
    Life is good. Enjoy the day and the excellent shooting.

You look like a rifle shooter to me,, and a darn good one!

thomae
    As a former Bullseye shooter myself, I think the discipline and focus on the basics that you need to be successful at Bullseye carry over to rifle shooting. Nice job.

My current limitation is that I suffer neck strain getting prone on a horizontal surface but shooting up the hill to the long distance targets. I have tried moving back on the berm to something with an angle up to the target but then I move downhill a little after each shot, requiring completely re-setting for another shot. In the video, I have moved back to flatter ground, but I was done after 20 rounds--vision bad and neck hurting. Maybe if i had the targets more level with or below the rifle this wouldn't be a problem.

Joe

Stork
    I've maintained for years that learning to move the trigger straight to the rear, while gripping the pistol with one hand made me a much better rifle shooter. I've managed to get a couple of our local Hi Power shooters to shoot Bullseye in the winter to help their trigger control along.

Now here's another item for guys that shoot 2-6 oz triggers. I've been shooting a 6Dasher with a Canjar set on pasture rats for about 18 years. I had a devil of a time trying to control the 4-6oz set trigger until I started shooting air pistol. If you can find a new or used IZH46, 177cal the triggers are unbelievably adjustable. (Bear in mind these are Russian made and the exterior looks rough, the interior is where they put the TLC.) When it hit about march, I would adjust mine down to 4 oz and practice in the basement. It made the transition to the Canjar set very quick & easy when the pups started coming out.
    Stork

distinguished Pistol #1298

Basic Member
    Sorry to hear about the neck. I am in the exact same boat. I shot about 36 rounds today out of a 338 Lapua then another 45 or so from a 223 and my neck has been pounding all the way up to the base of my skull.

nice shooting on the video !!

Quote Originally Posted by rotts4u View Post
    Sorry to hear about the neck. I am in the exact same boat. I shot about 36 rounds today out of a 338 Lapua then another 45 or so from a 223 and my neck has been pounding all the way up to the base of my skull.
    I think you have a worse problem than I. My vision gets a little out of focus, but not hardly any pain. Just uncomrfortable and can't see the target clearly.
    Joe

Basic Member
    I couldn't see the videos to view your form at all, but offer a suggestion for your neck tension issue. I had to switch from a 6-9in Harris Pod to a 9-13in Harris Pod because the further shots at the steel matches I participate in go up hill. The 6-9 had me more or less laying on the gun rather than behind it for those shots. What I found when I went to the taller pod was that with my lower positions being stuck at 9" I was more comfortable and using a taller rear bag set up got my torso off the ground so I didn't have to strain my neck as much to get on the scope.

This may be an option for you aswell, but like I said I am unable to view the videos at this point in time.

LoneWolf, thanks for the suggestion on the bipod height. I'll try some additional height in the front to simulate it before buying more legs but that is a great idea. Moving around on the slope works fine for one shot, but not 20.

Also, I forgot to put my safety glasses back on in the video of me shooting the bolt gun. Bad example, I know. Will not do that again.

Joe

and my neck has been pounding all the way up to the base of my skull.
    Find a solution to this fast because as you get older you will pay the price. I did the macho routine for years and thought that I could handle heavy recoil but this year...turned 70... it all caught up with me. The symptoms you have are the result of mild whiplash.
    Last edited by wbm; 06-04-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on the neck/vision issue I have. I have also set up a Mark II with a bipod and will work with it as well, experimenting with the height and angles.

Joe