Thread: New stock and muzzle brake for my .308 Hog Hunter.

NoDealin

New stock and muzzle brake for my .308 Hog Hunter.

Hi everyone,
    For those of you out there that own hog hunters: I just purchased my first Savage, a 11/111 hog hunter. I love everything about it, except the factory stock. I have searched for options on replacement stocks, and a muzzle brake. Any suggestions? Also, pics would be nice if you have them.... Keep in mind this gun will be used primarily for Target shooting, but may occasionally be used to hunt deer.

NoDealin
    FYI, if it's not obvious, I am a noob,and may be prone to asking a dumb question.... I apologize in Advance if I ask dumb question...

Basic Member
    I put mine in a Boyds "Tacticool". About $100 and very popular with Savage guys. Mine is wood composite with some sort of black, heavy duty paint. Other styles are available.

I would also recommend you bed and pillar it. Not difficult, and pretty inexpensive if you do it yourself. ($30?)

Don't know anything about brakes.

Basic Member
    If you do go the Boyd's route, you'll need to know what model you have, in generic, technical terms. They don't list a stock for the "Hog Hunter". Instead, it is this:

"Savage Short Action, center feed, top bolt release". Currently, the stock foream is not inletted for a heavy barrel, like the Hog Hunter. You would have to get the "factory sporter contour barrel contour" and then open it up yourself with sandpaper and a wooden dowel or deep socket. It isn't hard to do, just necessary.

Basic Member
    If you want something really nice, check out Sharp Shooter Supply for target stocks.

Take a look at Ross Schuler muzzle brakes....best muzzle brake I have ever used!

Have the DPMS on my .308 and it works well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/910...eel-parkerized
    Last edited by wbm; 05-25-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Basic Member
    WBM, if I were to get that for my HH, and didn't want to hunt with it, would I be alright shooting out to 250 yards without worry of change of point of impact?

I have the BOSS on my A-bolt 30-06 and I can't tell any difference in POI for hunting purposes. (but that system still has the same weight out front whether you use the vented/ported one or not)

NoDealin
    Thanks a bunch guys... I haven't done anything with a rifle as far as changing stocks, putting on a muzzle brake... Is this relatively easy, will I need any specialized tools? Also, would you recommend taking it to a gunsmith to do this?

Appreciate the answers so far...

would I be alright shooting out to 250 yards without worry of change of point of impact?
    Shooting with and without a brake can indeed change point of impact. Obviously the longer the distance the greater the change. How much change there would be can only be determined by shooting it with and without. Even changing scope power can alter point of impact.

NoDealin
    Well, I shot the hog hunter for the first time yesterday at 100yds. Was very happy with the results... The gun is far more accurate than I am... It did have significant recoil.

They do shoot! The brake on mine really takes care of the muzzle jump on the short barrel and the recoil is less than my sporter barrel 243. Heck use it hunting....dead hogs ain't gonna mind right?