Thread: Shilen DGR

Yoshi

Shilen DGR

Anyone have experience with one? (http://www.shilen.com/productsCompleteRifles.html)

Would seem like a good action due to:
    "1. Savage (small shank) thread pitch to accept any of the pre fits out there.
    2. Savage barrel nut system so I don't have to add $300 to the cost of a new barrel to have it installed by a smith.
    3. Floating bolt heads that interchange from .223 case family to 308/30-06 case family to 300WM case family to 338 Norma/Lapua case family (PT&G makes all of these bolt heads for sale to the public). I cant verify this.
    4. Remington footprint so the stock options are almost endless."
    (*Taken from post on Sniper's Hide)

Basic Member
    So it's like a "Savington"? ;-))

Basic Member
    Looks nice. Sure as heck outta my league.

Yoshi
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    So it's like a "Savington"? ;-))
    Or a "Remage".

Actually, it's a Shil-age.
    I don't have one, but wish that I did. Maybe someday. Don't forget, another advantage is different (better?) trigger options than a Savage. I'm not positive but pretty sure they're compatible with Remington-style triggers. I'm thinking the DGV single-shot with a Jewell trigger would be a sweet rig.
    Another thing, is the scope mounting holes are 8-40 instead of the smaller 6-48 that Savage and most other factory rifles use.

Yoshi
    What's the possibility of making something like this a switch barrel like the Accuracy International AT?

SKami
    I'm interested in these to possibly build a hunter class bench gun, they seem to fit the criteria. If anyone has an opinion or experience-please share.

Quote Originally Posted by SKami View Post
    I'm interested in these to possibly build a hunter class bench gun, they seem to fit the criteria. If anyone has an opinion or experience-please share.
    I'm very interested in this too. If anyone has done it successfully I'd love to hear about it. Honestly, this could be the topic of a whole separate thread, but I've kinda given in to the idea that the best, most economically sound way to get into the short range game is to just buy a good used benchrest rifle with one of the proven actions, like a Farley, BAT, etc, in the sub-$2000 range, and rebarrel it later if necessary. I know this is arguable, and runs contrary to our obsession with DIY-gunsmithing. But I'd hate to lay out $2000+ for a Shilen action, Jewell trigger, custom barrel, and benchrest- style stock, only to find that it's not quite competitive with the full customs.

Basic Member
    I have one, and it's great, just as good as any other, the action is made by Jerry Stiller, and the bolt assembly by PTG, it drops right into to a /rem 700 stock, there is a bit difference , not much in the thread of action and barrel, read at shilen there thread on action vs thread on savage small shank.

Basic Member
    Frank, the question that begs to be answered is are the bolt heads PTG's regular savage heads (meaning could you drop in a factory Savage head) or are they not compatible?
    NRA Life Member

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevM View Post
    Frank, the question that begs to be answered is are the bolt heads PTG's regular savage heads (meaning could you drop in a factory Savage head) or are they not compatible?
    If I remember correctly they are not. I have looked seriously about getting a DGR.