Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: savage axis 223 question big of scope dia ?

Basic Member

savage axis 223 question big of scope dia ?

folks I have a very accurate 223 cal youth axis. stock model. still has the cheap bushnell 3-9x40 scope. as we all know the bolt handle can interfere with a larger dia scope over 40mm. Question....what is the largest model of Nikon scope I can put on this gun with some good rings ? I don't want to raise it to high because of cheek weld issues. I order all my scope through mail order and don't want to return it if bolt hits back end of scope when I lift up the bolt to load more shells. would a Nikon 5-20x42mm Monarch Nikon work and what kind of rings ? wonder what all scopes u guys use on the stock 223 axis. thanks. Marty

Basic Member
    This may help... just get the specifications of the scope you want to mount and enter the values.

http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator

Basic Member
    ROSCO.. thanks for help but not sure if I am smart enough to make the measurements. ha ha any sizes , brands that shooters are using would help also. thanks. marty

Basic Member
    No worries man..I don't have .223 Axis so can't really say what works well. I use a straight 10x power SWFA with 30mm medium rings but cost me almost $400 when all was said and done and is on 7mm-08 but would use that scope on a .223 if I had one.
    Last edited by Rosco; 05-24-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Basic Member
    I had to grind a little off to fit a 3-9x40 Leopold Rifleman with med weaver steel rings aluminum weaver rail. That was better then high rings.

Basic Member
    Rosco... I have heard a lot of good things about that SWFA SCOPE. Lots of up and down travel. I wish they would make that scope in dulplex cross hairs. marty

Basic Member
    cranebird..thanks for your post and info. man every one has the same problem with the axis gun and scopes. marty

Basic Member
    Overall I have been very pleased with the scope and even when I did have a problem their technical support was very helpful. It is rugged, optical clarity is very nice, turrets are solid and all and alll great value for the money.

But yes I see your dilemma, dont have picture but after taking a closer look if I had the low rings it would either be a very tight fit or bump into the scope housing.

Basic Member
    yep... I would just like to up grade the scope to a Nikon monarch . maybe a 5-20x42. I have this cope on my 243 tikka and really like it. my 223 savage axis youth is a really a shooter. I also cut down the barrel to 16 1/3 inches long. what a snappy hunting gun for coyote calling. shoots 3/4 to 7/8 groups with black hill 52 gr bthp blue box with the orginal plastic stock. I would like to up grade the stock to a Boyd stock but have had no luck with the 308 cal axis I bought. I cannot get it to shoot but 3 1/2 groups at 100 yards with any brand or weight of factory ammo with a Boyd thumb hole or orginal stock on gun. Not Boyd stock fault just something od with this 308 gun. kind of afraid to up grade the 223 cal gun stock , don't want to mess up a good thing on the accuracy. ha ha, marty

cranebird
    It shouldn't matter as long as its a short action stock. I switched from.223 to 22-250 and it was fine. You have to check your barrel float and sand where it is touching the barrel. The recent Natchez flyer has the Monarch at a lower price but doesn't have the 5-20x42 listed . They have a 4-16 x42 listed for $329.95.

Basic Member
    cranebird... thanks for the info. Would you be interested in trying to fiquire out why my 308 axis will not group ? of course for a fee. I hate to give up on the gun. I can ship it too you and if it takes a few months that's ok with me. I will pay for all the ammo u use too. Marty Dobson in Oseola Iowa

This how you want your scope to end up.

MG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    scope eye. the issue I have is bolt handle will rub against eye piece bell on scope when u lift bolt handle to punt another shell in chamber on the axis 223 cal gun. looks like your size scope that has a larger eye piece then the bushnell scope that gun came with. just wondering if the 5-20x44 Nikon monarch or other brands and powers of scopes would clear the bolt handle. looks like u have a nice set up. what brand of scope and rings did you use ? might try your set up. thanks. marty

I have never seen that problem, the scope is a Swift 8-32X50 the rings are Burris ZEE signature med high "thanks Drybean" the stock is a Boyds Jacaranda and it is 200 action, with a McGowen 30" 12 twist in 7WSM I shoot 100gr Sierras 110 Barnes TTSXs and 120 Vmaxs all over 4000 FPS, Sweet rig it is one of my few rigs that has a break.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

I just went and checked, all my rigs the bolt handle just barely clears the eye bell, at least that is were they end up for my eye relief anyway.

Dean

Basic Member
    Ok I will take a look at your set up. I think the savage 200 action bolt arm does not swing as high as the axis gun. thanks for your help. Marty

Basic Member
    I run an EGW 20MOA base on my 308 Axis with a SWFA SS 12x42. There's no difference in the design of the Axis action between any of the Calibers. If you get an EGW 0MOA base or higher rings you should get the clearance you need. Either that or you can modifiy the bolt handle yourself. I grinded down the egg shaped handle and threaded it for a tactical knob. Pretty easy job really only took about 2-3hrs on a first attempt using hand tools and a dremel.

Most of my rigs are internal box style, so I do not like using rail mounts, that is where those ZEE rings come in with there inserts up to 20 MOA, they are the cats meow.

Dean

Basic Member
    Never had much issue dropping one in the chamber either way, but I prefer one piece bases personally. Just seem more solid to me.

Basic Member
    guys thanks for the good info . sounds like I am looking at my problem wrong. its a ring issue and I just need to get the correct height of rings. kind of like the EGW base idea. thanks again for all your help. marty

Basic Member
    Marty,
    Loosened my scope and moved it back a few inches and the top of bolt handle did hit the rear part of scope and wouldnt allow me to cycle, but I have medium rings so it may also be have far it is pulled back over the stock.

Basic Member
    The scope should be set up for proper eye relief. If you need to adjust it due to the design of the rifle and it affects your ability to gain a consistent comfortable cheek weld then you need to change your hardware to get there.

Fit the rifle to you not yourself to the rifle. You will be much more successful that way.

Basic Member
    ^^^ This

Team Savage
    remember to account for scope lens caps / covers thickness between front objective and barrel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast