Thread: Frustrated with disassembly

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    cdbeagle

Frustrated with disassembly

I have a friend who is not mechanically inclined and doesn't know much about firearms. He just bought the new Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP Youth Muddy Girl in .243 for his daughter. I mount and bore sight scopes on his firearms for him and had to order an extended front base for his daughter to be able to have the proper eye relief. Since I was taking the rifle home with me I agreed to disassemble and clean the rifle.

When I went to take the bolt apart I couldn't get the Bolt assembly screw loose. I even put wrapped the bolt handle in leather and put it in a vise and it wouldn't budge. The YouTube videos say it can be difficult the first time but not impossible. I don't want to put any more torque on the handle for fear I will break it. Do any of you have a solution as to how I can get the assembly screw loose?

My other issue is that I broke the trigger guard. The instruction manual says to take out two screws when removing the stock but neglects to mention there is a screw under the bolt release. They mention it in another section. Not knowing that there was a third screw I applied too much force and broke the guard, which in my opinion is incredibly flimsy. When I call Savage on Tuesday what kind of response am I likely to get? Will they replace the trigger guard or will I have to purchase one? I think Savage is my only option right now for another trigger guard b/c all of the online stores are sold out of them that I could find. I couldn't find the plastic or metal guards.

Is it even worth mentioning to them the issue with the bolt since they obviously don't want you to mess with it because disassembly instructions are not in the manual? I have completely disassembled a bunch of firearms and never had issues like this before. The broken trigger guard is a little bit on me because if I had looked at a schematic I would have noticed the third screw but I also believe they should replace it at no charge because the instruction manual doesn't mention the third screw in the instructions on taking the stock off.

From the manual:
    "REMOVING THE STOCK BE SURE THE BOLT IS OPEN AND THERE IS NO LIVE AMMUNITION IN EITHER THE
    CHAMBER OR MAGAZINE.
    THE ONLY TIME YOU CAN BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT A GUN CANNOT FIRE IS WHEN
    THE ACTION IS OPEN AND IT IS COMPLETELY EMPTY OF AMMUNITION.
    THERE IS NO REASON TO REMOVE THE MAGAZINE ASSEMBLY FROM THE STOCK.
    PULLING ON THE ‘FEEDING LIPS’ OR SIDES OF THE MAGAZINE MAY DISTORT ITS OVERALL
    SHAPE AND RESULT IN AMMUNITION NOT LOADING OR FEEDING RELIABLY.
    1. Turn the firearm upside down, with the muzzle pointed away from you.
    2. Using a 5/32” Allen wrench, loosen and remove the two screws securing the stock. FIGURE 9
    is for a TOP LOAD or DETACHABLE BOX MAGAZINE and FIGURE 10 shows the HINGED
    FLOOR PLATE
    3. Remove the stock."
    Last edited by cdbeagle; 05-24-2014 at 09:35 AM.