Thread: Overwhelmed with information! Nikon Prostaff 3-9x-40

saxrulez

Overwhelmed with information! Nikon Prostaff 3-9x-40

So I bought a Savage FXP10 today in .308. After looking through the $40 for about 10 minutes I promptly started looking at optics. I settled on http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...aspx?sku=37277

However, I'm at a 100% loss on all the talk on rings/bases and what sizes to buy.

Question 1:
    Is using the stock base possible? And is it a good idea(accuracy)? If its not, can I get some recommendations?

Question 2:
    What size rings do I need to buy? Also looking for recommendations here for quality.

Re: Overwhelmed with information! Nikon Prostaff 3-9x-40

I would be cautious of dealing with cheaper than dirt. They have had issues in the past with delivering the goods they advertise.

BTW, Midsouth Shooters Supply beats that price by $10

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...?sku=001256310

As for bases and rings,

I would not consider the stock weaver bases to be ideal, but they will work. If you can afford to upgrade, now would be the best time, before you get it all together and sighted in. Personal preference has a lot to do with these things, so you'll get as many different answers as people you ask. I prefer the Burris dual dovetail mounts and signature rings on my hunting rifles, and the Warne bases and Maxima rings on my target rifles. That doesn't mean that other configurations wouldn't work just as well, but it's what I prefer.

The ring height goes directly towards scope clearance to the barrel. If you're using a scope with a 40mm objective diameter (that's the front lense bell), then a medium height ring should clear your barrel with no problems. If you go up to a larger diameter scope, you will probably need to change the rings to a higher ring as well.

EDIT--

Oh, I forgot to mention, I have the Nikon buckmaster scope on my coyote rifle, and it's been great. Very rugged and has put up with a lot of abuse. I would not consider it a long range scope, but calling coyotes, my longest shot will be under 300 yards, and that's plenty of scope quality and power for that use.

AGAIN--

I have the same Pro Staff scope on my 17 Remington Contender carbine. It's a good scope for the money. Don't let anyone tell you the Nikon's aren't good. They put up with a lot of abuse, and even my Pro Staff scope is clear and repeatable.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Salvo

I have a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 with the BDC reticule mounted on my .17HMR Savage and have been very happy with this scope. I&#39;m thinking of buying another one for a Mauser I have in 30-06 because I like the scope much, and am familiar with it.

It really is a great scope. If you buy one, I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I have with mine.

saxrulez

I&#39;ll let you know in a few hours, heading to the range at 2. :)

Thanks for all the help here.

saxrulez

lostart

Looks good keep it up!

Basic Member

Here is a Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40 for $30 more

http://swfa.com/Nikon-Team-Primos-Ri...pes-C1407.aspx

Lots better scope, very little more money, same reticle

Bases should be fine

Go with Burris Signature Zee rings in medium.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-z...yle-bases.html

Life will be good.