Thread: Recoil lug issue

BigDog

Recoil lug issue

I got a Savage target action and had a surprise when I tried to put the barrel on it. The recoil lug would not fit over the barrel. The nut and the action fit just fine. I contacted Savage and they sent me a new recoil lug and it would not fit on the barrel either. They are both for the larger action but they are just a little too small to go over the threads. Has anyone else had this problem? The barrel is from Benchmark so it is from a good barrel maker and everything else goes together just fine so I know that it is the lug. My gunsmith said that it would cost about a $100 to set up a jig, get a bit and drill it out. He suggested taking a round file to it but I think that I should be able to get a lug that fits it correctly when I paid for the target action, from Savage. Has anyone else had this problem?

Basic Member

Re: Recoil lug issue

Your barrel is too big. The threaded portion should measure 1.120". Easy fix, just roll a file around it to knock the sharp crest off the threads.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

BigDog

I'm afraid to ruin my threads. I will see if I can get some emery cloth to run over it. Thanks for the suggestion. I have never had this issue with a barrel before.

dcloco

No...not sandpaper. You need to keep the threads flat and round at the same time. SSS is, of course, spot on with his advice.

BigDog

OK thanks for the information, this is all new to me. The other 2 barrels I put in did not have this issue. The barrel nut and action go on just fine now.