Thread: Righties, what side do you prefer your ejection port on?

WaltherP99

Righties, what side do you prefer your ejection port on?

Just curious what my fellow Savage brethren prefer.

RP, LP or DP? and Why? I am going to be building a 6mm BR shortly and I am not sure what side I would like my port on. I am thinking RBLP but I have some concerns. I'll express those after a few replies.

Re: Righties, what side do you prefer your ejection port on?

Currently, all my actions are RBRP but I'd like to build a bench gun with RBLP for ease of single loading and extracting fired cases.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop
    Currently, all my actions are RBRP but I'd like to build a bench gun with RBLP for ease of single loading and extracting fired cases.
    Exactly - RBLP would be my first choice, then RBDP would be 2nd.

varmitbuster

i really like rb/lp myself.

82boy

If I was to build a gun it would be without a doubt a dual port. Using the dual port is like running machine gun, only you run rounds down the range with extreme accuracy. The right hand works the bolt and the left hand feeds. You keep your head down on the gun and just run them through. I found that in switchy conditions, I could get off almost all my rounds in the same condition. The only problem I saw with the dual port was if you build a magazine, and have it on the left side of the rifle, it can interfere and get in the way of windage, and elevation on the rest. If you ever have the chance to shoot a dual port gun do it, for it will totally spoil you for anything else.

I would not even consider a right bolt left port. If your shooting off the bench right handed, the smallest part of the bench is the left side, so all your brass ejects out on the ground. If you build a catch box it is in the way of your adjustments on the rest. Also interferes on seeing flags. I realize that some fellows like to remove the ejectors, and I don't know why they would do such a thing. I follow the old benchrest saying "If the brass is not flying, your dieing." It just slows down operation too much, to pick the brass out. Most people that like the left port seem to like picking brass out.

If I was to build a right bolt right port, I would not even consider a target action over a standard action for the extra dough, to me it don't make sense. On a right port right bolt gun, it don't work as fast as a dual port, but your brass can stay on the bench, you have room for a catch box/magazine, and it will not interfere. This would be my second choice over a dual port.

cooperman223

My new 6x47 lapua is built on a target action, RBLP the first i have ever had, my first impressions are i love it, very easy to use,

If i had the choice i doubt i would go back to a RBRP again.

WaltherP99

ok, time to express my concerns...

Let me start by saying that my choices would be ordered as follows...

1. DP
    2. RBLP
    3. RPRP

My concerns with the DP would be the strength of the action in an overall kind of way, regardless of the caliber. Not having one of the sides there kinda worries me. Not that I doubt Savage at all! :) Thoughts?

This is where the RBLP comes in. In the event of a case failure of some sort, is having the port on the left side more dangerous to a right handed shooter? I know we should all be safe when shooting and it is considered careless not to be wearing safety glasses but I just can't when I am hunting/shooting period. Please, no lectures! 8)

In a nutshell, as 82boy said, If I wanted a RBRP I would just buy a regular action and go from there. But before I commit to a LP, are there any concerns (other than the main ones for me) a RH shooter should be aware of?\

Thanx for the help in advance.

I just built a RB/LP action a while back and love it. BUt like Pat said, I also pick my brass out so it dont fall onto the ground. That doesnt bother me at all cause I dont shoot for competition, so I am in no rush to get off another quick shot.

I was actually looking at a used RB/RP target action that I saw for sale. Almost bought it but then figured it wasnt worth the extra $ over a standard action cause I was changing the trigger anyways, so I passed on it.

I like my RB/LP and would love to have another if the chance presents itself.

With the RB/LP your right hand works the trigger and the bolt and that is it. The left hand does all the brass work(loading and picking out the spent brass). To me it seems to be the easiest for prarie doggin and normal range work.

Wouldnt mind tryin a dual port though.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

82boy

There comes a point where an action is strong enough, and anymore is just overkill. A savage action, in its pure form, is plenty strong. There has never been any proof, what so ever, that a target action has any advantage in accuracy, over a standard repeater Savage action. With that said, I can't see how a dual port would need anymore strength, than what it has. I could only see an advantage, if you had a barrel that was bigger in diameter than the action, and it was over 30 inch long.

If you think that a dual port would give up anything on accuracy, just look at the Bat actions. Bat has done this for years, and many of benchrest shooters would argue that this is the best action in the world. Many have copied their design. SSS has done dual ports on rblp actions since they have come out. He shoots one, and one match we shot in he shot a 5 shot group that was a hair over 1 inch at 600 yards. I have seen another gun that SSS built that is a dual port and it shoots every bit, if not better than, the Bat action that the owner owns.

If there was any doubt that the action would be unsafe, I grantee Savage would not sell it. A case rupture is a dangerous situation, and the action design has incorporated features to keep it safe, if this was to happen. I would say that a case rupture would have the same affect to the shooter no mater if it was rbrp, rblp, or dual port.

A few extra thoughts about the dual port, first, if I was to do a dual port and money was no object, The way I would do it is buy a pre target accu-trigger RBLP action. These guns have a very small port, when they went to the target accu-trigger they made a bigger port in them. I would send the action off to SSS and have them cut the right port. They can cut the port to any size you would want and for a 6br, you can get away with a very small port. This would make the best dual port action. Savage factory dual port actions have two very large ports, (Due to the 6.5x284 chambering offered) and the way they are cut makes the bolt have more play, when moving it back and forth. The Factory Dual port also has a different bolt spacing than the other actions. They use a model 40 trigger guard, and do not use the half pillar in the rear, they use a full pillar. SSS could drill the action like this on any of the target actions.

On all of them using a 6br cartridge I would use a 223 style front baffle that has the longer bolt stop.

WaltherP99

Thanks for the info guys. I've been stewing this plan over quite a bit lately and this was one of the things that I've been having the hardest time figuring out.

82boy: You raise some very good points. As for the last part of your post.....money is somewhat of an object with this build! :) I would love to go "all out" but I wanna spread it around on this build. I don't wanna kill the budget on just the action and prolong it any more! :)

As for the port size, I assume the RBLP would have a smaller port? The way they look in pictures that seems to be the case. Optical illusion?

Also, I know I may be going a little off track here but what bolt face am I looking at??? Standard?

82boy

For a 6br you would need a standard bolt head, the problems with the 6br on a Savage action, are first with the short case they sometimes have ejection problems. This can be fixed, and there is several ways to skin the cat. For the most extreme 6br extraction problems SSS makes a special bolt head for them, with a different extractor. The other problem is there is a small section of the action that may need to be ground out, (with a dremel) or it will cut slots on the shoulder of the brass. (My 12 benchrest did had this problem.)

I am not sure, but I believe that all the ports are the same size on the target accu-trigger actions regardless of them being rblp, rbrp, or dual port. As mentioned before the pre-target accu-trigger rblp guns have small ports, and I think they are the only ones. Many complained that it you had an ejection problem you can not get your finger into the ports.

WaltherP99

Ejection issues was going to be my next set of questions.

I wonder if Savage may have worked this out with the DP's considering they offer it as a factory chambering.

Guess this build may offer more of a challenge than I expected!

82boy

My 12 dp benchrest would eject say 90% of the time. The problem (most times) is because the bolt heads are over-sized. (They are suppose to measure .473) Like mentioned before there is several ways to skin the cat. I have lengthen the ejector in my model 11 and it will eject 22brs 100% of the time, and it flings them at least 6 feet. Sometimes placing a larger ball bearing under the extractor will do the trick.

TOO Builder

My vote goes for the RB/LP. I do not compete in benchrest so quick shots are not a concern however I can see that a DP would have its place. I am an avid prairie dogger and shoot laying down off a bipod most of the time. I like the RB/LP very well for the very reason of being able to see the brass and load/unload easier. Many times with my standard action Savages I eject a round only to have it fall on the ground and hide in the grass and weeds where I have to hunt for it. With the left port eject I can usually eject the round right into my waiting hand or position my hand so it bounces off my thumb back into the action where I just pick it out. I like them so much I just ordered my third one for my next build. TB

docsleepy

82boy: I just wanted to give you a hearty THANKS -- you have just given out a WEALTH of information, and right on some issues I would never have known about, had I not read your posts on this thread. Much appreciated!

gordon