Thread: Axis Project

Axis Project

What to do with the refund from my taxes? "Taxes"...tactics...Axis...

Okay, it's not really going to be really tactical, but it should be a fun waste of money. What started as a 30-06 Axis now wears a 26-inch Shilen varmint contour pre-fit barrel in .243 Winchester. I just got the Boyd's Tacticool stock today, which cost me extra because I accidentally ordered the long magazine version from Boyd's and had to cancel it an hour later, d'oh. I opened the barrel channel with a 1-inch rod wrapped with 60-grit sandpaper. There's still quite a bit of work to be done, and I'm still waiting on my scope, but it's looking good so far.

When I pulled the barrel, I too found the fine, steel balls in the threads. Quite odd and annoying.

Basic Member
    Off to a great start!! Money well spent.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post

Okay, it's not really going to be really tactical, but it should be a fun waste of money. What started as a 30-06 Axis now wears a 26-inch Shilen varmint contour pre-fit barrel in .243 Winchester. I just got the Boyd's Tacticool stock today, which cost me extra because I accidentally ordered the long magazine version from Boyd's and had to cancel it an hour later, d'oh. I opened the barrel channel with a 1-inch rod wrapped with 60-grit sandpaper. There's still quite a bit of work to be done, and I'm still waiting on my scope, but it's looking good so far.

When I pulled the barrel, I too found the fine, steel balls in the threads. Quite odd and annoying.

Off to a good start. I'm going to be doing another project when I finally get home!

Basic Member
    Very nice! I have 3 Axis build that I've done, and they were all a blast to put together.

Yeah, the Axis barrels are a pain to remove sometimes with all the junk in the threads. Both of my blued rifle had them. I don't recall seeing them on the stainless though.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post

Looks good. Where did you get your custom bolt? I might need to get one for my axis

Made it myself! And thanks! I've got the thing bedded and scope mounted, so now I have to find some time to get to the range. I also put in a Timney trigger, but I think I'm just going to go with the old, shimmed factory trigger.