Thread: Simmons LRF600 Rangefinder

mazda3gun

Question Simmons LRF600 Rangefinder

Anyone have one?
    Comments?
    Opinions?
    Experience with rangefinders?

I'm looking to get a rangefinder, and assuming like most things, you get what you pay for. But, I'm on a budget and don't want to spend more than $200. The Simmons' comes in well under at $110-$140

theEmp
    I wouldn't waste the money myself. One of my hunting buddies brought one last elk season and it couldn't range a lot of targets at 250 yards. Maybe it was just his. I have a leupold wind river which worked great until it started killing batteries within 10 ranges. I think a good option would be the vortex 1000 it is about 400 at Sportsmans. If you are hard set on 200 I'd watch classifieds and see if something used came along. Just my two cents.

I wouldn't bother with the Simmons nor the Vortex. Compared the Vortex last week with a customer and took a Leica along for comparison. Vortex would range white metal building at 876 once in six tries. Fellow bought the Leica.
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    I had an older Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout that I got used for $80 about 8 years ago. It worked beautifully up until the day I gave it to a friend. It would give consistent readings to about 500 yards and then get a little spotty after that. The only reason I got rid of it was to replace it with a Vectronix Terrapin.

Andrew

mazda3gun
    I'm not ranging much further than, say 300yds, so that's my reasoning behind not spending a great deal of cash. The REAL reason I would like one is because I have a Nikon scope on my 110 w/ a BDC reticle and I wanna put it to the test and see how accurate to yardage the reticle is.

Up until I got this scope, be it bow or gun, I've always been an instinct shooter and never had the desire for a rangefinder. Maybe it's just pollen and allergies, but I'm pretty sure my eyes are getting worse even at my young age and instinct sighting isn't like it used to be.
    Plus, it's a cool toy!

mazda3gun
    No further input on a rangefinder?????

I know you long distance folks, at the very least, have probably used one once. Although, if you own one, it probably costs as much a down payment for a house like your scopes do LOL!

emtrescue6

Simmons LRF600 Rangefinder

I have a Nikon Pro-Staff that is good out to 500 yards...bought it a couple years ago and lat out love it for the money...got it onsale at Cabela's for $199....very happy with it. My buddy has an older version of the same one and has had it for several years now with no issues. Mine has sense spent a great deal of time in the woods banging around in my pack or a cargo pocket and has worked flawlessly.

mazda3gun
    Quote Originally Posted by emtrescue6 View Post
    I have a Nikon Pro-Staff that is good out to 500 yards...bought it a couple years ago and lat out love it for the money...got it onsale at Cabela's for $199....very happy with it. My buddy has an older version of the same one and has had it for several years now with no issues. Mine has sense spent a great deal of time in the woods banging around in my pack or a cargo pocket and has worked flawlessly.
    +1 for Nikon products! Love my Prostaff scope!
    Their rangefinder is a tad more spendy than a Simmons, but, it's probably a better one. I think I saw them on Optics Planet and Amazon for roughly $170ish +/-

I'm still undecided though, starting to think I really don't need one THAT badly, just want one. Especially since I want a new lil pocket pistol of some kind.

I have a Nikon 800 that cost $225--smaller used for bow hunting
    Leica 800 from Cameraland for $225 shipped--LR shooting
    Leica golf LRF from Cameraland $200 shipped--golf

Spend the $$ and get a good one.

mazda3gun
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Coach View Post
    Spend the $$ and get a good one.
    Kinda what I'm thinking too.
    But, as I said, I'm Jonesin' for a new pistol simultaneously.