Thread: AXIS 308 Threaded Barrel and HI-Cap Mag

Gunman9

AXIS 308 Threaded Barrel and HI-Cap Mag

1. I have a 308 axis II and was looking at possibly threading the barrel. Before everyone ask why.... because I want to lol plain and simple. I just want to know if the stock barrel diameter has enough meat on it to actually thread it without the potential of it breaking off during use

Honestly do not want to buy a new barrel because for the price of a new barrel I can buy a brand new Savage!

2. I know Snyder Mags make a 308 High Capacity mag but $110 + Shipping for a new one or $80 + shipping for your mag converted seems a bit steep to me. Does anyone else produce these mags right now at a better price point?

Basic Member
    Dark Eagle Customs also sells the 10rd .308 extended magazine for the Axis. He does it a little differently then Snyders but from what I have heard both of them work very well.

And is a little less exspensive at $95.00.

Gunman9
    I have been in contact with Dark Eagle Customs and the ones he makes now that are available online are not for the axis. He did say they were working on a prototype extended mag that would use the same materials as their current mags.

Basic Member
    Thans for the clarification..I stand corrected.

Itsricmo
    Rosco, get in touch with Fgw_in_fla ... He is making me (2) 10rnd 30-06 magazines!
    I know he said he does the short action mags a lot more often and may have some laying around waiting to sell.
    Frank is a really nice guy, down to earth and he hasn't missed a beat!

I don't want to quote prices because I haven't asked about a price on the short action but shoot him a message

Gunman9
    Yep I just ordered one from him and will order another when I get back in town!!

Itsricmo
    Excellent! Glad to hear, seems like you are happy with his prices

Basic Member
    Thanks for the heads up!! I will touch base with him but I need to buy my Harris Bipod first :)

Itsricmo
    I'd go extended mags w/ bags instead but it's all personal preference :D
    Hope everything goes well for you, I am buying a new barrel from Apache Gunworks and putting it on my action!

Basic Member
    Its 3rd on my wish list, but not sure how beneficial it would actually be. I have the factory sporter barrel and after about 3-4 rounds I typically have to let it cool down. During that 5 minutes or so could simply load up another magazine, but if I can afford a new barrel from Apache, after the Bipod, CK Gun Vise, 100rds of Ammo etc... then hell yeah!!

Basic Member
    Anyone going to answer the threading question?

Itsricmo
    As for the threading... Dependent on where you go or send your barrel, you could be looking around $150 for just the threading job and shipping. That still leaves you having to either headspace the barrel yourself or get someone else to do it.

Why not get a quote from Apache Gunworks for a Medium or Heavy Bull barrel that is threaded? Might be the same or a little more expensive but the pros out-weigh the cons...
    Heavier barrel profile will let you shoot more before cooldown, probably shoot more accurate and you'll be much happier :)

Basic Member
    +1..

Itsricmo
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    +1..
    I will take that as approval haha

Basic Member
    That is correct

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunman9 View Post
    I have been in contact with Dark Eagle Customs and the ones he makes now that are available online are not for the axis. He did say they were working on a prototype extended mag that would use the same materials as their current mags.
    Good to hear. I have a Dark Eagle mag and was very impressed by the quality. I can't wait for an Axis mag to be available.