Thread: Savage 111 Detachable to blind in a Choate stock! HELP!

pjuhl2313

Savage 111 Detachable to blind in a Choate stock! HELP!

Hello all, my name is Pete and I am new to this site as well as building rifles.

I have a Savage 111 .270 call w/ detachable mag, does not have the accutrigger. Gun is about 9 years old. I would love to use Choate's sniper stock and convert my rifle into a blind mag. Has anyone been able to successfully do this? I have the L clips for my magazine, but Choates site says their stock only fits stagger-feed style. Is mine a stagger feed or a center feed?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

If your mag release is on the bottom of the stock then you have a Centerfeed. If you have a small round button in the side of the stock then you have a staggerfeed.

THIS LINK may help you identify your mag type.

If the stock is SF and you have a CF you can use shims or epoxy or ??? to fix the mag box for CF in the mag well of a SF stock. There are several threads here describing how to do this. Check the boards here for stocks or do a search and you should find the info you are looking for in more detail than I can recall at this moment.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

pjuhl2313
    Thanks for responding bootsmcguire. I have a detachable mag and is centerfeed. The link that you posted shows a blind mag already. I will look into the possibility of shimming the mag for the SF stock. Does anyone happen to know anywhere else that sells stocks similar to the Choate sniper stock but is more accustomed to a Large action centerfeed detachable mag?

bremereric
    Quote Originally Posted by pjuhl2313 View Post
    Thanks for responding bootsmcguire. I have a detachable mag and is centerfeed. The link that you posted shows a blind mag already. I will look into the possibility of shimming the mag for the SF stock. Does anyone happen to know anywhere else that sells stocks similar to the Choate sniper stock but is more accustomed to a Large action centerfeed detachable mag?
    Have you tried Boyd's?

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

or

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

pjuhl2313
    Boyds doesn't really have anything with a good cheek piece. And stockys is really expensive. Obviously if I have to break down and get one I will but I was hoping for affordable.