Thread: Scopes fixed or adjustable magnification?

campdude

Scopes fixed or adjustable magnification?

Just as stated, what do you prefer and why?
    I only have scopes on some high end pellet rifles and they are adjustable, but I keep them on the highest magnification and just focus to what I am shooting.

bremereric
    When you shoot at something closer you may want a bigger window to view. I vote adjustable.

campdude
    I was hoping to get some more comments for the fixed.

Basic Member
    Really depends on the use. If it's strictly for longer than 150 yards, a 10x+ fixed is perfectly fine. You generally get a little more rugged scope and more quality out of a fixed. If you're planning on multiple roles for a rifle, variable is the way to go. I would not want to find a sprung buck at 25 yds with a 10x.

You can also look at a 4x/6x fixed. That will get you to a very respectable range, but it's very subjective. You need to try a 6x at 400 yards and see if you're OK with it.

Depends on use...

If it will only see the range then a high-power fixed is acceptable to me.

If it's on a dedicated fairly short-range hunting rifle (under ~200 yds depending on what is being hunted) then a low-power fixed scope is acceptable to me.

If it's on hunting rifle that may see shots from 15 - 250+ yds then I prefer a variable in the 2-7x, 3-9x, or 2-10x range - with it set on the lowest power until I decide to zoom in for a particular target.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member
    Exactly what has been said. You can learn how to work on lower power if you may have to work at short and long ranges. I have a fixed 12x on my target style 308, but the rig is a little heavy for trying to shoot movers at close range. I mainly shoot it at 100yds and out from the prone to it works.

A variable will give you more options for more shooting scenarios. Sometimes a larger field of view can be very handy.

campdude
    Thanks guys,
    I have not hunted as an adult, I hunted with my Dad when I was younger but I would like the rifle to handle multiple task.
    It will be mainly for target shooting but I will also leave the iron sights, again I like to have options if I am in a bad situation and damage the scope.

bremereric
    I did the Mueller 4.5 X 14 X 40 that is a 30mm tube on my little b-mag. I shot it yesterday and I like it a lot. I got a discount coupon and free shipping to the door for $148.71

http://www.opticsplanet.com/mueller-...iflescope.html