Thread: Beginner reloading kits

conorem1

Beginner reloading kits

I've been looking into getting into hand loading, and saw a couple of different kits but figured I'd ask about which one people have had experiences with here. I'll be reloading .308.

Basic Member
    I started out with an RCBS rockchucker kit. I still use the press it has been the only one I have ever needed in 15 years. At the time the packaged deal fit all my needs and for the most part still does. The only upgrade I have made is to an RCBS chargemaster 1500. I have a good friend that bought a lee kit and it has been great for him. I looked up the packages and they all seem to contain similar things. I don't see how you can go wrong with any of them. I started with a .308 as well.

Oscarflytyer
    RCBS Rockchucker kit nearly 30 years ago - still all I use today. Have picked up a few other small items over time, but the basic kit is still my go-to.

the Ranger
    started out about 10 years ago with a Lee Aniversary kit ($70 at the time) and a set of Lee .308 dies, I must have dies for a dozen different rifle and handgun cartridges now, but still use the same press from that kit. that same kit now comes with a nicer press.

texasgunclass
    rcbs and you will have a press that will last you a lifetime

Bought a Lee Kit and its been serving me well for years and years. I upgraded to a 4 hole Turret Press some time ago, but still use most of the equipment from the original kit. They do have a nice kit that included the Turret press.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

conorem1
    I guess the consensus says rcbs, guess I'll be ordering it this weekend.

Flip a coin and pick between the RCBS kit and the Hornady kits that run $300-$350 range. Either will have everything you need and last for a long time. I did break a part on my Hornady progressive press being stupid one day. I called them, told them it was my fault and they still covered the part and shipping. Oh, funniest recordings I have ever heard on a companies phone.
    More shooting, less typing.

emtrescue6
    I personally wouldn't buy the new RCBS presses...now the older Rockchuckers, that's a different story,they are one of the better presses. All 4 of my single stage presses are older CH...and hands down, I think for the money (if you can find one used) they are the best thing out there. For newer...I'd have to say Hornady....when my brother decided to start loading a few years back we got him a Hornady Lock N Load for Christmas and it has worked flawlessly...and they have great customer service...but I will say this...I own a great deal of RCBS equipment and they also have great customer service.

conorem1
    Awesome, I'll look into the RCBS. The kick of this is I'm building my reloading station in my small one bed room apartment lol, gotta make do for now.

308 Hunter
    I started with the RCBS Rockchucker press and reloading kit along time ago. Still use it today for rifle and handgun rounds. Still works like new. I use both the Lee and RCBS dies, both work very well.