Thread: Axis XP II rings torque

domo

Axis XP II torque - New shooter impressions

I'm new here and to precision rifles. I bought an Axis XP II 308 for an inexpensive trial to shoot some distance "out of the box" at the range. A friend with a 700 attended my first range trip with the Axis and at 200yards rounds were not consistent. The friend suggested the scope was not torqued down and it wasn't.

I haven't been able to find torque values for the scope rings. No literature is provided with the rifle purchase as to what type of rings are included. The scope included is a Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40. I plan to strip down to the base, loctite and properly torque everything and then attempt to zero in again.

Any torque suggestions are appreciated.

Update
    See post #12
    Last edited by domo; 05-23-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Basic Member
    My SWFA 30mm medium rings specifications are 10lbs/in.

Basic Member
    most use rioght around 15 inch lbs of torque, but specifications may be particular to some scopes depending on the maker.

domo
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    My SWFA 30mm medium rings specifications are 10lbs/in.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    most use rioght around 15 inch lbs of torque, but specifications may be particular to some scopes depending on the maker.
    Thanks for your replies. I'm finally just getting back to this project. I searched and by the looks of things the rifle came with this:
    Scope base - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/992...ear-axis-matte
    Rings - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/242...ProductFinding

I've searched but the general torque suggestions vary a lot by type of rings.
    Scope base torqued ? in/lbs
    Ring bases torqued ? in/lbs
    Ring caps torqued 10-15? in/lbs

Basic Member
    I was not able to find a specification sheet on the Weaver 2 piece base, but I would assume these are torqued either the same or almost the same to the Weaver Single piece base which many shooters use here. As for the rings I was able to find the manufacture page which lists the base thumb clamp screws at 25-30 in/lbs. and the Ring screws at 15 in/lbs.

Here is the link
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...30mm-rings-low

Also you could call IronSighter Company @ 734-326-8731 and ask Tech Support I am sure they would have an answer for the base.

domo
    I was not able to find a specification sheet on the Weaver 2 piece base, but I would assume these are torqued either the same or almost the same to the Weaver Single piece base which many shooters use here. As for the rings I was able to find the manufacture page which lists the base thumb clamp screws at 25-30 in/lbs. and the Ring screws at 15 in/lbs.

Here is the link
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...30mm-rings-low

Also you could call IronSighter Company @ 734-326-8731 and ask Tech Support I am sure they would have an answer for the base.
    Thanks again for your response. I searched the forums and the only post I could find concerning Weaver 2 piece base torque was http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...l=1#post250423
    15-25 in/lbs

Basic Member
    If you torqued at 20 in/lb which is what the EGW rails are spec'ed at then more than likely that would be fine. Also have you thought about replacing the factory 2pc set with a single pc Weaver rail?

domo
    If you torqued at 20 in/lb which is what the EGW rails are spec'ed at then more than likely that would be fine. Also have you thought about replacing the factory 2pc set with a single pc Weaver rail?
    Yes I have. I was looking at the DMZ 1 pieces. I figured I would see how well I can do with what came with the rifle as a learning experience. I like this video concerning a weaver 1 piece install. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoW5b...EFDD83DF9BA2A4

Would you suggest putting the 2 piece aside and start with a 1 piece? Or some other scope mount?

Basic Member
    Personally, I prefer the 1 pc rail, either the EGW @ $39.99 or the Weaver @ about $20.00. Choosing which one to use seems to be a topic people like to debate and I don't have any hard evidence that one is really better than the other. Their seems to be a fair amount of pros and cons depending on what you are actually using the rifle for. Such as the 2pc sets tend to be lower which allows for a better cheek weld, is lighter and allows for easier access to the receiver, but I must admit I don't know anyone that is using the 2pc sets on there Axis. My thoughts were when I purchased mine that a 1pc. added a bit more integrity and rigidity, was easier to work with, and helped ensure my scope rings were aligned correctly. Some even have integrated recoil lugs which helps with the scopes when shooting big bore guns. Honestly, you may be just fine with the 2pc set, but at the end of the day it is a personal choice.
    Last edited by Rosco; 05-21-2014 at 12:42 AM.

domo
    So round rear, short action?
    Weaver http://www.midwayusa.com/product/973...t-action-matte
    or
    EGW http://www.midwayusa.com/product/889...t-action-matte
    Do I need the MOA elevation?

Should I upgrade to 4 screw rings while I'm at it?

Basic Member
    Either of those should work fine. What distances are you planning to shoot? Wouldnt think you would need the 20 MOA unless you were going past 1000yds and if you were I would recommend a different scope.

As for the rings the low profile Burris Sig Zee seem to work really well for everyone. I have 30mm SWFA 4 screw rings but its only because they came with the package.

domo
    Either of those should work fine. What distances are you planning to shoot? Wouldnt think you would need the 20 MOA unless you were going past 1000yds and if you were I would recommend a different scope.

As for the rings the low profile Burris Sig Zee seem to work really well for everyone. I have 30mm SWFA 4 screw rings but its only because they came with the package.
    I just wanted to give an update for any new Axis II owners that may stumble across this thread. Thanks again for your help Rosco.

I decided to remount the scope using the hardware that was included and have some range fun. It's good practice that I could use. I cleaned off all the thick oil that was under everything and remounted the Ironsighter 2-Piece base. Torqued the bases down to 20in/lbs. Note one of the screw started to strip out. Cheap screws?
    Mounted the Vortex Hunter 1-Inch Rings and torqued the bases down to 25-30in/lbs and the ring caps to 15in/lbs. Note there is no room for movement for eye relief. The supplied base, rings and Weaver Kaspa scope are a tight fit. I also adjusted the accutrigger down to its lightest trigger pull. Note the front and rear action screws weren't anywhere near 40in/lbs from the factory. I bore sighted the scope and headed to the range.
    I got the axis on target at 50yards and moved to 200. Note on my first range trip with the rifle I adjusted the scope many many MOA trying to get some accuracy. I learned that the scope was loose from the factory. So after a lot of adjusting and 10 or so rounds I was reliably on target at 200yards.
    I didn't have any super tight groups to brag about. I wasn't using match ammo and I'm still learning trigger control. Maybe by the end of the summer I can update this thread with some nice grouping shots.

After I got back from the range I noticed the rings loosened up a little. I ended up buying Talley Lightweight 2-Piece Scope Mounts with Integral 1" Rings Savage 10 Through 16, 110 Through 116 Round Rear, Axis Matte Low. Will report back results using 168gr match ammo.

Basic Member
    For a newcomer like myself proper Scope Mounting was easily the most difficult challenge to overcome. It took at least 6-8 mounts and remounts before the rifle was ready for the range. Seems you had some of the same problems that I encountered.

Congrats on getting out to 200 and glad I could be of some assitance. Keep us updated with a range report.

Basic Member
    I really like those Tally rings and I think you will to. :-))