Thread: Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10X40 vs Primary Arms 4-14X44 FFP

OneShot

Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10X40 vs Primary Arms 4-14X44 FFP

I sold the Bushnell 4-12X40 that came with the 11 V/T 308 and I am set to order from Midway the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10X40. I have read quite good reviews about this scope (made in Japan) and it seems that fits the bill for my use (hunting/range shooting) with SFP and 3-10 power.

However, I checked also Primary Arms 4-14X44 FFP and it has good reviews too. I like the idea of FFP and a little more power. My reservations are with FFP reticle at low power for hunting being very small and thus unusable. Also I am not sure about the optical quality.

I am strongly biased on Weaver. I just want to ask if someone has used both and he/she want to share the experience.

Thanks.

Bill

whiskey
    I've got the primary arms scope and am very pleased with the quality for the dollar. Glass is good. Love the ffp.

Clicks are a bit mushy but i'm ok with that for the price.

Ffp wouldn't be a disadvantage to you for hunting applications. How would it?

OneShot
    Thanks for your input. I mean that since FFP at low power 4X is at its smallest size, the crosshair might not be visible. But that's my assumption, that's why I am asking actual users for their input. So you do not have any disadvantage? I mean even at 4X the crosshair are visible for whitetail hunting?

whiskey
    The cross hair is plenty visible in my opinion. I can hit clays all day with it at 150 yards.

There are "guide lines" from the cross hair to the edge of the reticle.

I would definitely use this for hunting

http://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-A...pa4-14xffp.htm

Look at picture number five

badmutha6
    I also have the PA scope and love it. It passed a box test and I regularly dial elevation adjustments and then back to zero. Clicks are on the mushy side but for $229 you cannot beat it. I initially wanted to move up to a Vortex Viper PST FFP but with as well as this scope works, I may not. I don't have any issue with the reticle at lower power either.