Thread: New Mueller scope decision need help

1375619cm3

New Mueller scope decision need help

Trying to decide on a new scope for my new savage 11vt 243. Its my first rifle and i I am using it for varment and deer hunting (hopeing to go pdog hunting with inlaws soon) and I would like to start shooting longer range targets. Right now I am shooting up to 300 yards would like to eventually push that out farther around 500 yards. Since moneys tight being a new father and this will be a once in a long time purchase I would like to get a scope that I can grow into a little bit. I would like to keep it under $300.00. I prefer a higher powered scope (anything over 24x) as ground hogs are the main target in this area at present time.

I have looked online at a bunch of different websites and I keep comming back to this Mueller. I currently have a Mueller on my cva muzzle loader and have been pleased with it for the last 8-10 years.

The only thing that I wish this one had was the mildot rectical.

I guess my questions are as follows:

Anyone have one and or opinions?
    Anyone have any other suggestions?
    Hows the quality of the Mueller higher powered scopes?
    What base and rings would be good for me (was thinking one piece base)?

Price is around 259$ @ midwayusa

Mueller Target Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 8-32x 44mm Side Focus Target Dot Reticle Matte

Product #:*835407
    Mueller #:MU83244
    TDUPC #: 857727001182

Thanks guys in advance thoughts and opinions appreciated

Cody

Basic Member
    I have never owned a Mueller scope but have considered one many times, never heard anything bad about them and several people I have asked say they really like them. if you could fork out a few more dollars and get a better quality scope, you might want to check out the special CameraLand has going on. it's an 6.5x20x44 Vortex Viper at a really great price. here's link for you.
    http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/z...the_day_apr_30

Bharada
    I have that Mueller scope mounted on a .308 10 TH XP. I bought it as a factory refurb from a seller on ebay for $200. Fit and finish is excellent. The turrets have positive and audible clicks. I've only put a couple of hundred rounds through the rifle developing loads but the scope has held zero throughout.

Optical clarity and brightness are very good as well. It compares favorably to the Nikon Monarch 8-32x50 I have on another rifle.

I have it mounted with Warne permanent low rings on an EGW rail. But the rail is pretty high so even with the low rings the objective bell clears the sporter barrel by about 3/8".

1375619cm3
    Devildog thank u for the input and the link I will look into that for sure.

Bharada thanks for the review I didn't expect anything less on quality compared to the Mueller that I have. Is there any optical "foggyness" at the higher zoom? I will also look into the Nikon that you have mentioned. Is there another lower rail that you might recommend?

Thank you both for the replies

Cody

Bharada
    The Mueller doesn't have any fogginess at 32x. Sitting the Mueller next to the Nikon it's hard to see any difference in brightness or clarity.

As for the base, I did this rifle on the cheap so I bought the EGW for $47 shipped not even thinking about its height. I've seen other bases mentioned on this site but typically they cost 2-3x what the EGW sells for. Weaver and Talley have one piece rails between $30-70 on Amazon, but I don't know how high they are.
    Last edited by Bharada; 05-14-2014 at 07:04 PM.

1375619cm3
    Bharada thank you again. You've made my decision easier the only thing that I dont like is that is just a standard target scope rectical. I wish Mueller made the same scope for around same cost with a mildot style rectical.

Bharada
    Another scope you can take a look at, although slightly more expensive ($335), is the Leatherwood A.T.R. Uni-Dial 7-30x50. It has a mil-dot reticle and seems to get favorable reviews.

1375619cm3
    Bharada I like the looks off that one ill have to do a little more research on it.

One shot I appreciate the Ideas but I'm looking for something along the lines of a 30ish zoom.

sparky123321
    Was just notified that Mueller just released their new 8-32x42 with a Mildot reticle and they're offering it at an introductory price of only $200.

1375619cm3
    Sparky really where is it being sold or when is it being released that would be perfect

1375619cm3
    Sparky is i found it thank you it would be perfect.
    Mueller 8x32
    MT83244

Thanks to everyone

1375619cm3
    Sparky is there an end date known for the special pricing?

sparky123321
    This is an ONLINE sale only!!!!!
    DIRECT SALE ENDS MAY 31ST 2014

1375619cm3
    Thanks sparky I'm going to try n swing tge monies by then.
    Cody

Basic Member
    That Mueller is designed as a rimfire scope. I had one and put it on my .308 and after awhile the tracking got off and the parallax adjustment stopped working. The recoil basically beat it up. IMHO that is also too much optic for hunting. 8 really limits you on shorter ranges and target aquisition.

If you want a Mueller the 4-14 APT is a very good one. Much tougher with great glass. I'm also a huge fan of the Primary Arms 4-16 SFP and 4-14 FFP scopes. For a budget scope they are unbeatable.

1375619cm3
    Rifle I didn't see that it was made for rimfire only where did u see that at?
    Last edited by 1375619cm3; 05-17-2014 at 10:08 AM.