Thread: Trigger

md80captain

Trigger

I installed a rifle basix sav-2 trigger in my build. Pretty much dissatisfied because of random disengagement of the sear (firing). I followed the instructions carefully, but it seems that the sear engagement is so slight that any banging, jarring or closing of the bolt hard will cause the gun to fire. Even when adjusted to over 2 pounds pull, it is fairly easy to get it to go off without pulling the trigger. Any better trigger options out there?

md80captain
    Quick follow up. I just replaced the "red" light duty trigger pull weight spring with the "heavy" one. I adjusted to 10 oz pull. That is about as light as I can go without it firing unintentionally. Now normal operation of the bolt won't make it fire. I also tried the banging the butt on the ground trick when cocked, and that would not get it to fire either.

GaryBF
    Did you adjust the sear engagement or just leave it as received? I just installed a SAV-2 myself and my sear was so far out of adjustment that the firing pin fell as soon as I closed the bolt. You have to adjust the sear even though the video makes no mention on how or when.

This is my sear as received:

After sear adjustment:

Last edited by GaryBF; 05-13-2014 at 07:33 PM.

md80captain
    Nice pictures. Yes I have played around with the sear engagement adjustment. Basically, the way I finally adjusted it was set just enough overtravel to allow the sear to disengage and set the trigger weight as light as I could go without it disengaging itself on bolt close. The sear engagement is set more or less the same way as the overtravel. Just enough so that it stays engaged when cocked. Your right, they don't address this at all in the instructions. One thing I regret is taking off the "sharp" edge on the nose of the sear as instructed. I may have gone a little too far. That being said, I can surely live with the 10 oz I have now. I just can't get any lower than that without having problems with random disengagement.

Basic Member
    I had all the same issues when I installed the SAV-2, very unsafe the gun would fire I swear by just looking at it. I finally ended up using the heavier spring and had to replace the sear ( no I did not remove the edge on the new one) to get the gun to a safe state. i think the lever the sear engages might be part of the issue as the one in the pictures show it seems to have a slight angle instead of a flat face thus IMHO allowing the sear to slip without the added pressure of the heavier spring. Just my $.02.

md80captain
    Quote Originally Posted by ky-n View Post
    I had all the same issues when I installed the SAV-2, very unsafe the gun would fire I swear by just looking at it. I finally ended up using the heavier spring and had to replace the sear ( no I did not remove the edge on the new one) to get the gun to a safe state. i think the lever the sear engages might be part of the issue as the one in the pictures show it seems to have a slight angle instead of a flat face thus IMHO allowing the sear to slip without the added pressure of the heavier spring. Just my $.02.
    Right, there is no way to use the red spring and get down to 4-6 oz without having unintentional discharge. Like I said, went to the heavier (white) spring, and was able to get down to 10 oz without any problems. I did do some smoothing of the sear edge, but would not recommend this unless necessary. The only reason I did was because it was suggested in the video. Like you said, with the red spring, and the trigger set to about 6 oz it would go off just sitting there several seconds after the bolt closed! Not a good thing.

GaryBF
    I am assuming that both of you replaced "standard" triggers, whereas I replaced an Accu-Trigger. Curiously, the Accu-Trigger section of the video makes no mention of rounding the sear yet we are all installing the same trigger parts. The Rifle Basix video is useful, however, it leaves a lot to the viewer/buyer's imagination. My installation was fairly straight-forward, but it was by no means a "drop-in". I haven't taken mine to the range yet, but the early indication is that the trigger replacement is worthwhile. We'll see.

Basic Member
    Yes mine was a standard trigger the video said to polish the edge off the sear, I FIRMLY believe that is where a great deal of my problems developed. No I did not get carried away polishing the sear, I used a glass plate and a bit of 2500 grit. As I stated earlier I think the lever that engages the sear is ground at less than a true 90 degree angle thus making the sear tend to want to slip up the face of the lever unless you have the extra pressure of the heavier spring.

Not that I am unhappy with the trigger it is an improvement over the "standard", it just does not adjust SAFELY to the advertised release weight and I think it should since that is what I paid for.