Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really itching for a 260... thoughts on a couple of options? Hog Hunter?

Question Really itching for a 260... thoughts on a couple of options? Hog Hunter?

So currently I'm shooting a 308 Axis. It's doing pretty well, but I'm really itching to build a 260. The Axis is bedded in a Boyds Tacticool right now, with a EGW base and an SWFA 16x42 on it.

My options would be to rebarrel the Axis, which is a very good possibility, or to start a new build. What are everyone's thoughts on the Hog Hunter?

I looked at a Hog Hunter barrel not long ago on ebay that went for pretty good money. I was thinking about picking up a Hog Hunter in 308, and selling the barrel and stock. Dropping it in another Tacticool, and throwing on a nice 260 barrel. Hog Hunters can be bought for $400-450, which seems like a pretty good deal for an accutrigger gun that I could make some decent money back on selling the barrel...

Other options I'm not thinking about? Input?

Thanks in advance!

Team Savage
    If you reload, then a 260 rebarrel of your Axis would be the cheapest and most logical step. In my experience, the 260 has less recoil than the .308 and better down range energy because of the wide selection of high BC bullets that are available. A Savage SA CF action with Accutrigger is nice because of a wider selection of aftermarket parts and stocks. So your strategy with the Hog Hunter may be a viable option.

I beleive a better option would be to buy a Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP in .260. It has a Savage factory 260 sporter, 22", 8 twist barrel. It will most likely be as accurate as a 260 aftermarket barrel. It just won't clean up as quickly. Bud's Gun Shop has them listed for $477.00. Sell the Nikon BDC scope as a new take-of on Ebay ($90-$100). If the factory 260 barrel does not shoot to your liking, then you can easily sell and replace it with a custom barrel. Right now Savage .260 sporter barrels are in demand and hard to find. The Savage SA CF used on the Trophy Hunter and Hog Hunter are basically the same.

The longer range and high BC 140gr bullets are the reason I want a 260. The lighter recoil is a bonus. I just started handloading, so I'll be handloading everything from here on out. I really want a heavy barrel is my issue, and the reason I hadn't really considered the Trophy Hunter XP. I figured a 308 Hog Hunter barrel would sell easier than the 260 sporter. My sporter 308 tends to get a little wild after the first few rounds, when my buddies with heavy barrels don't seem to have that issue. I may just end up rebarreling the Axis since I've already got it, I'd just like to have a more standardized platform, and an accutrigger... lol. I've done as much to the Axis trigger as I can without majorly changing the geometry. It's right around 3#s, which is ok for what it is I guess.

emtrescue6
    As popular a the 260 Rem is right now, and barrels being in high demand...I don't think you'd have any trouble selling a 260 sporter barrel (especially a new unfired one) for better money than you might think.

This is true I haven't seen a factory sporter in any 6.5 chambering lasting more than a few minutes around here.

Going through the same process. I have a 260 Rem already that is set up as a long range hunter/target rifle but not practical as a walk around rifle. This one I built from an action and barrel from NSS. It has a Model 12 varmint action with a Criterion light varmint 24" barrel. I haven't weighed it, but scoped weight has to be pushing 14 lbs.

I'm looking to build a lightweight hunter and have been looking at the Model 11 Trophy Hunter. I prefer the 22" barrel, compared to the 20" but the stock would need to get replaced. My target weight for the scoped rifle is less than 7 1/2 lbs.

I have a 110 in 338-06 that I converted a few years back that could be a donor rifle, but I really like that caliber and unlikely I'll go that route. Mental gyrations I'm going through is whether I need another 6.5 rifle. Already have a 257 Weatherby, the aforementioned 260 Rem and a Brown 97D in 6.5 BRM. Maybe I should opt for a 7mm-08 just to have something different.

Hah, yeah, I don't have that luxury. My Axis 308 is my only bolt gun, and I just really want a heavy barrel 260. Strictly a target rifle anyway, so I'm not all that worried about weight. Just really itching to build a 260.

emtrescue6
    JUST 1 BOLT GUN!?!?!? The horror! Dude, you need an intervention

RIGHT?!

I've got plenty of other guns, just no other bolt guns. I'm fairly new to long range, but it's become rather addictive rather quickly. lol

emtrescue6
    You don't need to shoot long range to fill a safe with bolt-guns...LOL

My collection is over 30 years in the making with a lot of horse trading over that time, but we have to start working on your collection. Just not right to bring the same "girl" to the dance.

260 Rem is a good choice for your long range goals. I've taken mine out to 800 yards with consistent results and since you reload, you can work around the production ammo limitations.

emtrescue6
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine24 View Post
    My collection is over 30 years in the making with a lot of horse trading over that time, but we have to start working on your collection. Just not right to bring the same "girl" to the dance.

260 Rem is a good choice for your long range goals. I've taken mine out to 800 yards with consistent results and since you reload, you can work around the production ammo limitations.
    Completely agree! :)

Yeah, the 308 isn't bad, and has been a good gun to learn the ropes, but I want something that will reach out a bit further and buck the wind a little better.

As for not needing to shoot long range... honestly, I've gotten to the point where I don't really enjoy shooting as much unless it's at least 500 yards... lol

6.5 Creedmoor may be an option. I don't know how far your planning on shooting, but a 308 is perfect for 600 Yards. The Creedmoor might even do better.

I really want to be able to make good, consistent hits at 1000+. That's pushing the limits of the 308, consistently.

Basic Member
    308 is highly capable of being consistent at 1000yds. The 6.5 chamberings just make it easier due to their more efficient Ballistics. The biggest thing to me is ensuring the rifle is capable first. Starting with a good barrel and a stock designed to fit the shooter or be custom adjustable to the shooter. I can shoot a MOA group or better consistently at 1000 with my 308. I've decided my next build will be a 6.5-06 A-Square though because of it's increase in ballistic capability. I thought about going to 260, but hell everyone on the line shoots a 260 or a Creedmore. Great cartridges, but I still like to be a little different.

Lately, I've been delving into the concepts of accuracy and efficiency. Accuracy comes from the shooter once a rig is properly tuned. Efficiency and consistency comes directly from the rig. I've out shot guys with my 308 who were using the 6.5 Creedmore, 260, even 300WM on the line simply because I know my gear better than them. A cartridge alone will not make one a more accurate shooter. I chose to build my skills on the 308 due to it's relatively stable ballistics and reliability.

Building your skills with your gear is the most effective cost efficient choice you can make. I'm not saying don't buld a 260 because if it's what you want to learn on then "get'er done, just trying to make sure you understand that it's the link between shooter and rifle, and constant practice of the fundamentals in every shot you take be it live or dry fire trigger time that makes one most effective at long range.

So my question is what is 1000yds consistently to you? MOA, Half MOA, Sub-Half MOA? If I hadn't gotten into F-Class and Long Range Steel Matches, I may not really need more than what a 308 will provide. With the 308 Match Bullets and Powder are cheaper and easier to find, brass is cheap, and it's a great cartridge for learning long range basics on.
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 05-16-2014 at 02:44 AM.

I realize I need all the trigger time I can get. I think you missed the '+' on the end of the 1000. I really want to be able to stretch it to 1200-1300 if possible, and a 308 won't really do that. 1000 is on the outskirts. My rifle in it's current state isn't really capable of doing what I want, mainly because it's still a stock sporter barrel. If I'm going to rebarrel it at some point anyway, I feel like I might as well just get it over with so I know I'll have a platform capable of what I want, and in a caliber that will get me there. Does that make sense? It does in my head... lol.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to shoot sub half MOA, but I'm not sure that's an attainable goal just yet. That's my overall goal though. I really enjoy shooting long range steel, but feel like I'm usually outclassed when we move out to the 1000 yard realm... Maybe it's me. Maybe I've gotten hot/fatigued and am pulling shots, but I don't think so. We always seem to start around 500yds though, and start backing up. Maybe I need to start out at 1000 and see how things go next time...

emtrescue6

Really itching for a 260... thoughts on a couple of options? Hog Hunter?

Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    I really want to be able to make good, consistent hits at 1000+. That's pushing the limits of the 308, consistently.
    I would argue that....after a great deal of load development, my Model 10 FLCP-K in 308 will ring the gong at 1000 yards very consistently a long as I have my A game going. The 308 is a long favored long range caliber....I have friends that regularly walk their 308's out past 1000 to 1200....1300....and then some. It's more the shooters skills than the rifles capabilities once you start shooting those distances.

Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    ... Maybe it's me. Maybe I've gotten hot/fatigued and am pulling shots, but I don't think so. We always seem to start around 500yds though, and start backing up. Maybe I need to start out at 1000 and see how things go next time...
    Not just you. That jump from 800 to a 1000 yards gets challenging for most shooters, but as LoneWolf states it starts with the platform and then the shooter.

Not sure if the 260 Rem has any better legs to reach out to 1300 yards than the 308. With Berger 6.5mm 140gr Match Long Range VLDs, my drop at a 1000 yards is almost 30 feet and 2x that at 1300. .308 175gr Match Long Range VLD drop is worse (32 feet @ 1000 and 70 feet at 1300). Add in even a gentle breeze and things will get real interesting for either caliber.

emtrescue6
    Not just you. That jump from 800 to a 1000 yards gets challenging for most shooters, but as LoneWolf states it starts with the platform and then the shooter.

Not sure if the 260 Rem has any better legs to reach out to 1300 yards than the 308. With Berger 6.5mm 140gr Match Long Range VLDs, my drop at a 1000 yards is almost 30 feet and 2x that at 1300. .308 175gr Match Long Range VLD drop is worse (32 feet @ 1000 and 70 feet at 1300). Add in even a gentle breeze and things will get real interesting for either caliber.
    Well said...plus, platform is everything at these ranges...a simple barrel swap (even if swapping to a high quality barrel) alone wont necessarily get you where you want to be. Once you start stretching your legs out past 800 you'll need to start doing the small (i.e. expensive") upgrades....blueprint the action, pillar and bed the action, precision recoil lug, target crown barrel, upgrade your stock and so on....plus, this is also where case prep and Handloading makes all the difference in the world...you'll spend as much (probably more) time doing case prep alone than actual shooting.

Basic Member
    and for the record I shoot my current competitions with a custom Axis 308 I built myself.

My Build thread has become a historical item in the Axis Forums, but I think it still sits on like page 7 these days if you want to check it out. I paid extra for the SSS stock because they CNC inlet the stock for the Axis action and there is nothing but perfection in their work. I permanently bedded the recoil lug into the Axis ProTac Stock and it is a Sub Half MOA capable rifle. I've shot it round for round next to guys using full McMillian custom rifles. With a well developed hand load it does exactly what you want in 308. The 260 would be marginally better and is why I'm going with 6.5-06 on my next build. It does everything the 6.5-284 can, but with cheaper brass.

emtrescue6
    Yeah I have been debating a 6.5 build and have been debating between a 260 Rem AI and the 6.5-06 (and AI version)...I am torn but leaning toward the 6.5-06 for the same reason...abundant and cheap brass (plus I have a 5 gallon bucket full of it)....but I really like short action calibers.....decisions decisions decisions...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emtrescue6 View Post
    but i really like short action calibers.....decisions decisions decisions...
    6.5 saum?

emtrescue6
    6.5 wsm

I've already bedded the action in the Tacticool stock, and installed pillars when I did it. I didn't know about the SSS stock when I bought the Tacticool from Boyds or I probably would've gone that route, mainly for the adjustable height comb. That's my only gripe with my current setup, and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do to fix it now. Been playing with Kydex but can't come up with something I like yet. Hate the look of the Karsten piece. Bah, we'll see.

Anyway, only thing really left is a nice quality heavy barrel, so I'll more than likely end up rebarreling the Axis instead of building something new. Just have to decide on a cartridge. I always come back to the 260, but I've been looking at the 6.5 Creed a lot lately too. I don't want something like a 6.5x284 because it's not a hunting rifle, so I want to stick with something with good barrel life if I can.

A 260 or 6.5 Creed will stay supersonic out that far, a 308 won't. If I'm not mistaken, the 260 and 6.5 buck the wind a lot better at those distances.
    Last edited by upSLIDEdown; 05-17-2014 at 02:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast