Thread: 260 Rem Shilen Select Match build

Basic Member

260 Rem Shilen Select Match build

I've had this action hanging around from a mod 11 Trophy Hunter I picked up about a year ago intending to build a 6.8 SPC. Since that time I've moved from South Carolina to central Texas and my needs have changed. My main need switched from a lightweight, relatively short range rifle to use from a climbing tree stand to a rifle that can comfortably reach out to 4 - 500 yards across an open grain field. The 6.8 has certainly taken plenty of game in that range, but I'd be more comfortable with something with a bit more legs.

So when I saw this barrel already threaded for a suppressor I jumped for it since I also have a Silencerco Harvester in NFA jail that needs a good host for the upcoming deer season.

Stock is a Choate Tactical. It took just a little bit of dremel work to fit the plastic bottom "metal" and trigger guard from the Trophy Hunter.

The scope is a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 LR FFP in high Talley lightweight rings. Looks like there is probably room to have used medium height rings but the highs will keep my ear pro off the stock comb.

NRA Life Member

Exactly what I'm looking to build. Bravo, sir.

Currently shooting a 308 axis and I'm thinking seriously about just rebarreling it to a 260 when I get the funds to spend on a nice barrel... or stumble across a steal on one. lol

SKami
    That is awesome! While waiting for savage to return my .260rem LRP, I found a M11 "prairie dog" on sale at cabelas-was gonna do a build with it, but after installing a Boyd's thumbhole-it was so sweet shooting, I decided to leave it alone! I recently bought a 110 270, removed the barrel and installed a shilen select match .243 with 1:8 twist and was looking at a similar stock-is it really heavy? Seems like a nice deal compared to others.

Basic Member
    This is no lightweight at 11# 12oz as pictured without the bipod. BTW, the Shilen barrel is their Remington Varmint (Sendero) contour which they advertise as being 5# at a 28" length ... this one is only 24" ... though I'll be screwing another 11oz on the end in the form of the suppressor.
    NRA Life Member

Basic Member
    Here it is with the last piece of the puzzle:

NRA Life Member

So jealous.

That locks very nice.
    I'm starting a 260 build very similar you yours minus the suppressor.

Basic Member
    I love my 260rem and PST. I'm eyeing that choate stock. Looks great.

m796rider
    Please do tell us how the Harvester works with your rifle. Very nice!

Basic Member
    Took it out to a friend's farm and did a little bit of sighting in at 50yds in his pasture. I had just bore sighted it in the backyard and found that I was already within minute-of-deer for the range I was testing it out at.

2" to the right and 2" up and I had the windage dead nuts and it was putting 5 rounds into about quarter-sized groups about 2" above POA ... which ought to have me pretty close when I get to stretch it out a bit.

My goal for this is for me to be comfortable on shots on deer at 350yds or so.

The suppressor made it pretty quiet though I kept my ear pro on. I took out my 6.8 SPC AR right after shooting it and the AR was significantly and very noticeably louder even with quality Peltor muffs on.

Also felt pretty good about this as this was the first time I've loaded and shot my own ammo.
    NRA Life Member

Rifle looks awesome, the suppressor looks great on it. 350 shouldn't be a problem at all with that rifle.
    Uh oh, theres a future addict among us, building his own rifle and now reloading. Its all over now lol
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by RevM View Post
    Took it out to a friend's farm and did a little bit of sighting in at 50yds in his pasture. I had just bore sighted it in the backyard and found that I was already within minute-of-deer for the range I was testing it out at.

2" to the right and 2" up and I had the windage dead nuts and it was putting 5 rounds into about quarter-sized groups about 2" above POA ... which ought to have me pretty close when I get to stretch it out a bit.

My goal for this is for me to be comfortable on shots on deer at 350yds or so.

The suppressor made it pretty quiet though I kept my ear pro on. I took out my 6.8 SPC AR right after shooting it and the AR was significantly and very noticeably louder even with quality Peltor muffs on.

Also felt pretty good about this as this was the first time I've loaded and shot my own ammo.
    NiCE!
    what are you using for bullets and powder?

I've got my shilen barrel on the action and I opened up the stock so I could start load dev.
    Even with the flimsy factory stock I was averaging 1/2 MOA during barrel break in.
    My Choate tactical stock should be here Mon!

trozzo51

Shot this group today, thought I would post it here

http://s136.photobucket.com/user/fra...Sav12.jpg.html

Mistakenly printed Sierra, bullets are Hornady. This is an out of the box 12 with accutrigger. For economical reasons I try to stick with a single powder. Having shot ARs for a while I was using AA 2230. So I worked up some loads for the 45 70 and the 260. I can plug in the load data to the RCBS charge master and dispense exact measures for each of the guns without having to change powders over. So far it looks like I can work up accurate loads for all the guns.
    Last edited by trozzo51; 07-25-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Basic Member
    140gr AMax over about 38gr IMR 4350. I had loaded up several more groups up to about 42gr but we didn't really have enough time and my shooting position wasn't really good enough for the groups to be all that meaningful.
    NRA Life Member

I've been messing with HOR and SIE 140's and 142's with RE17 and H100V, new Shilen barrel seems very forgiving as far as loads go, pretty much shoots everything I've tried in it well.

Thank OP for showing your build, it was good inspiration for me!

Basic Member
    Looks good. I really like that adjustable length of pull stack-up on the stock ... any idea it that can be fitted to the standard tactical stock?
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by RevM View Post
    Looks good. I really like that adjustable length of pull stack-up on the stock ... any idea it that can be fitted to the standard tactical stock?
    Not sure.
    I do seem to remember it sold separately.

Found it!
    https://www.tacticalworks.com/Choate...zed-Black.html