Thread: finishing up my first Savage build

Tokimini

finishing up my first Savage build

I am finishing up my first Savage build in 6BR and I don't want to get out to the range on Sunday and find I've missed something so I'm hoping some of you more experience builders will check my work. I started with a 270WSM Model 12 barreled action. Since it was a WSM I swapped out the bolt head for a .308 configuration and replaced the WSM firing pin and spring. I put on an 8 twist McGowen barrel and checked the headspace with a Clymer Go gauge and used the tape trick for a No Go gauge. I have a B & C Medalist tactical stock. I have free floated both the barrel and the tang on the rear of the action. Other than mounting a scope am I good to go?

D.ID
    Sure sounds that way.

Tokimini
    Thanks

sortafast
    You might consider bedding your scope mount but other than that it sounds like its time to go punch some paper.

Did you post pictures? I don't think you can call a build "finished" until you show us pictures!

Tokimini
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    Did you post pictures? I don't think you can call a build "finished" until you show us pictures!
    I have never been shy about posting pics of a finished build. When I get the scope on I'll post some.

Tokimini
    Here she is ready for the range. The scope is a Sightron Big Sky II 6 x 24. I used the Burris Zee rings with variable size inserts to give it a .20 MOA downward cant so I can give the 1000 yard range in Williamsport Pa a shot, but mostly I will use it to punch paper at 100 yards at my local range. My youngest son and I are breaking her in tomorrow.

[IMG][/IMG]

Team Savage
    Looks great, just need a range report

Very nice! Well done. If it shoots half as good as it looks, you've got a winner!

Tokimini
    Thanks guys. I will definitely post a range report.

Not sure how much difference it makes if you've got a 0 moa rail, but regardless, your scope base is backwards. Otherwise, awesome looking stick. Can't wait to hear how that McGowen does for ya.

EDIT: Think your bipod may be backwards as well. Legs should fold up and to the front.

Tokimini
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Not sure how much difference it makes if you've got a 0 moa rail, but regardless, your scope base is backwards. Otherwise, awesome looking stick. Can't wait to hear how that McGowen does for ya.

EDIT: Think your bipod may be backwards as well. Legs should fold up and to the front.
    I was wondering about the scope base. That's how it came on the barreled action. As for the bipod, I prefer this way. The recoil doesn't collapse the legs.

Your shoulder should stop that. Reason for it to be the other way is so you can put some forward pressure on the bipod. Anyway, regardless, awesome gun!

Tokimini
    I just got back from the range and it was a very good morning. Just messing around trying to get the COAL dialed in I got some nice 5 shot groups. Copper fowling was non-existent. I think this McGowen is gonna be a laser
    when I find a powder it likes. My son is sending me two pounds of Varget in a week. That will be the real test I think. (To all you sharp eyed people I fixed the scope base last night.)

[IMG][/IMG]

Tokimini
    I just took a closer look at my targets and one thing that was immediately apparent was that there were no flyers. Two groups were strung out but the remaining nine were all decently grouped. It's gonna be fun seeing what the right COAL and Varget will do.

Basic Member
    Sweet looking rifle! And some great shooting! Well done
    MOAON AABE

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimini View Post
    I am finishing up my first Savage build in 6BR and I don't want to get out to the range on Sunday and find I've missed something so I'm hoping some of you more experience builders will check my work. I started with a 270WSM Model 12 barreled action. Since it was a WSM I swapped out the bolt head for a .308 configuration and replaced the WSM firing pin and spring. I put on an 8 twist McGowen barrel and checked the headspace with a Clymer Go gauge and used the tape trick for a No Go gauge. I have a B & C Medalist tactical stock. I have free floated both the barrel and the tang on the rear of the action. Other than mounting a scope am I good to go?
    Obviously you've got all the bases covered, great shooting for the first trip! I too built a 6mm Norma BR with a 1 in 8 twist stainless barrel (Criterion) and it shoots like a laser out to 600yards with 105gr bullets.

Tokimini
    Thanks Ryan. I like your quote.

Tokimini
    Thanks GaCop.

Did you use a cheek rest at the range? For consistency I would use a cheek rest probably have to use something in the 1 to 1.5" height to get a good cheek bone weld.
    GLC

Tokimini
    Quote Originally Posted by mousemotors View Post
    Did you use a cheek rest at the range? For consistency I would use a cheek rest probably have to use something in the 1 to 1.5" height to get a good cheek bone weld.
    Nope, but it's certainly something to think about

Just a thought adjust your seating depth a couple of thousandths either way and or adjust your paralax just a little, should get rid of that little bit of horizontal spread.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Tokimini
    Thanks Froggy.