Thread: Aftermarket synthetic or laminate hunting stock for the .338 Hog Hunter?

Mifune326

Aftermarket synthetic or laminate hunting stock for the .338 Hog Hunter?

Hi everyone and Happy Mother's Day to the moms on the forum.

I recently picked up a Hog Hunter in .338 WM and absolutely love it. It's a beast but very maneuverable. Pretty decent accuracy for my purposes too. It's shooting 1" to 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards (resting on a sandbag) with Federal Premium Vital Shock 250 gr. (Nosler Partition).

I'm looking to upgrade to an aftermarket synthetic or laminate hunting stock. I like the simplicity of the existing stock design and would prefer to not have to covert to a DBM.

Any suggestions?

Thank you and all the best!

Chris
    Last edited by Mifune326; 05-10-2014 at 12:16 PM.

ywhic
    I have been looking at Boyds for the $92 laminate stock..

The confusion is the medium-contour barrel on the 308 version (not sure on the 338) of the Hog Hunter..

Some people say that you need the heavy barrel Boyds 'Tacticool' (usually out of stock) others say the Hogue normal ones fit (though Hogue sucks)..

I was leaning toward Boyds Classic for $92.. http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...54732&cat=1223 though that says center feed factory barrel (what ever that is)..

Diameters from someone with the HH rifles for the barrel nut area would be great along with barrel thickness there and at the muzzle.

campdude
    I am in the same boat with the HH and have learned the laminate stocks would have to have the barrel channel opened up a bit to free float the barrel correctly.

Opening the barrel channel is not a big deal, 20-30 minute job with dowel and some sand paper.
    The Boyd's are usually otherwise a drop in. You may want to pillar bed it afterwards but that would be up to you. Check the picture section of the forum or search for the HH's and I am sure you will see some in the Boyd's stocks.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Mifune326
    Thanks for the info Fellas!

Chris

ywhic
    I put measurements for my new HogHunter (308) down in the 'aftermarket stock' section. But here they are as well.. FWIW..

1.034" (26.33mm) at barrel nut to barrel, & 0.748" (19.01mm) just behind the muzzle protector..
    At Boyd Stocks 9" designated 'B' area I got 0.903" a little bigger than the 3/4" (0.875") then they list for 'B' the standard contour.
    At the end of the factory stock I get 0.873" (22.17mm)

Hope this helps someone..