Thread: New Mk2 at the range, warm barrel question

daryl308

New Mk2 at the range, warm barrel question

I just got back from the range after having sighted in a new Loopy on a new Savage Mk2. During my time there, I noticed a peculiar thing. While shooting from a good bag rest I found that my first 2 shots hit the target 1"-2" low and a little to the left. As I continued to fire, I would print a nice tight group dead on in the the bulls'eye. After reloading the magazine, the pattern would repeat, 2 low and left, then the following 8 would be dead on. This happened using 3 different brands of 22lr, Federal, Remmy, and CCI mini mags. The range to target was 60 yards, weather was clear, cool--mid 60's, no wind. I've never seen this effect with any of my rifles, 22lr or center fire, new or old. Could barrel temperature be the culprit??? Anyone have any thoughts???

Sounds like your barrel is touching the stock. If you free float it the problem should go away
    1946 M99 300 Savage
    2013 M111 LRH 300 WinMag
    2012 MkII F .22 LR
    2014 B-Mag .17 WSM

fartsinpublic
    Also check your action screws. Could be that one may have come loose. There are threads on how to go about tightening them, and each rifle seems to like their own snugness, with varying amounts for front and rear screw. If it is a brand new rifle, the action screws could also be *too tight* from the factory, and causing what DesertWolf says to check for (depending on which MkII you have--some stocks are more flexy than others). The bottom plate is typically flimsy, it deforms causing the action screws setting to change. Stronger ones are available from DIP.

Re-snug and Locktite scope mount bolts and double check rings, while at it.

daryl308
    Thanks. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me to check the barrel with the paper dollar trick. Sure enough, I did and wound up sanding down the stock channel a little. The stock is supposed to be walnut, but I don't think it is. I looked under the butt plate and the wood is white with a walnut stain on it and a Boyd's stamp on it. The trigger guard is plastic. I'm a little disappointed finding this stuff out. Oh well, at least it shoots straighter than I can.