Thread: Model 10 LE PC - question about the bolt body

tdmccain

Model 10 LE PC - question about the bolt body

Hi all,

My Model 10 LE Precision Carbine in .308 has an interesting issue I hope someone can help me with. I ordered and installed a PTG spiral fluted bolt body. The fit seems nice...a little bit tighter than the factory bolt body and certainly smoother to operate. The issue I have is that it seems to have issues picking up the next-to-last round out of the magazine. I have tried two different mags, have hand-polished the bolt, played with the feed lips on the mags...all to no avail. Mags have been cleaned, springs are good and the action is spotless. The gun feeds okay the first two rounds, then you have to press the bolt forward on the third round, retract it fully, then close the bolt and it MIGHT feed. Usually, I just get a jam. Visually, I see no points of interference and no odd marks on any of the brass from the bolt head. Re-installing the factory bolt body returns function to completely normal. Any wisdom is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    - Ted

Basic Member
    Using conventional wisdom, one would think by minimizing clearances that things would get better and lead to better accuracy, but you must consider that the rifle as a whole was built to production standards that are a lot looser than a custom action. By refining one particular part, and not addressing the others can sometimes lead to a situation that will not work properly.
    In a nutshell, Savage actions are on the loose side, but work incredibly well because that's what makes everything have wiggle room and float, for self alignment. I have used a few fitted bolt bodies, and while the feel is better, the accuracy suffered. I went back to factory parts and the problems dissappeared. You may have to do the same thing.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

tdmccain
    Thanks, sharpshooter. Truth be told, the factory gun is very accurate...1/2 MOA with the right loads. No complaints there at all. I did like the "slicker" feel of the PTG bolt but I didn't see any noticeable changes in accuracy one way or the other. If it's a matter of having to have a gunsmith fit it or using it like a single-shot, I'll throw it in a drawer and keep the factory bolt body. Live and learn, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by tdmccain View Post
    Thanks, sharpshooter. Truth be told, the factory gun is very accurate...1/2 MOA with the right loads. No complaints there at all. I did like the "slicker" feel of the PTG bolt but I didn't see any noticeable changes in accuracy one way or the other. If it's a matter of having to have a gunsmith fit it or using it like a single-shot, I'll throw it in a drawer and keep the factory bolt body. Live and learn, I guess.
    Down the road, you could always get the factory bolt fluted and still have the reliability.