Thread: Dang, is this normal for a Viper PST on TPS TSR Rings?

NotoriousAPP

Dang, is this normal for a Viper PST on TPS TSR Rings?

I need some more help from my Savage brothers on my rifle build. I have a Savage 110E long action, I'm putting a Viper PST 6-24x50 scope on it. I bedded and installed a Farrell one piece 20 MOA base and was ready to install my TPS TSR rings tonight but I had an issue. When I position the scope for my eye relief the scope is set forward on the rifle quite a bit, this makes it really hard to access and turn the magnification ring. Is this normal? I measured my length of pull when I ordered the stock and had it made to this length of pull, I don't see what else I can do to fix this issue.

Here are some pics of the rifle and scope when it's setup for my eye relief.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    What did you have the magnification on when setting your eye relief? The higher the Magnification the shorter the eye relief will be. This may require you to have the scope set back a little further than it is currently.

Side note I'm 6'5" and prefer a 15" Length of Pull setup.

NotoriousAPP
    I had the magnification set to 6X. Are you saying that I should set the eye relief when the mag is set to somewhere around 16X?

I'm 6'3. I measured my length of pull to be 14.5", that's what I ordered the stock with.

Basic Member
    I would set your eye reliaf with the Magnification closest to what you will use on a regular basis or somehwere in the middle. That way you don't have to pull your head to far back or stretch it way out when you adjust it for different shooting situations.

NotoriousAPP
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot.

Anyone know of a throw lever that may fit in that small space between the base and the magnification ring? The Vortex throw lever has the two screws on the side that would keep me from being able to use the entire range of motion (poor design Vortex). Vortex's design is not sexy or as functional as the SWFA SS Switchview throw lever.

Basic Member
    Heres how mine is setup

Basic Member
    I usually turn mine all the way up to set eye relief.

Check out Sinclair Int. for throw ring. May have to or not take some metal off top of base for throw ring to work. As to eye relief, adjust at range under normal shooting position.

NotoriousAPP
    I setup the scope today using the maximum magnification to set the eye relief. Worked like a charm, thanks y'all, the mag ring now just barely clears the scope base.

Westcliffe01
    Wow, my scopes are all mounted substantially lower and I get the rear ring as far back as I can and away from the port, But then I am using the steel one piece Warne 20MOA tactical base and either Low or Med height rings.

NotoriousAPP
    Dang bro, your eye must be set way back in your head!

Basic Member
    for a throw lever alternative you might try one of these break=away coasters. inexpensive and people use them!
    http://www.amazon.com/Breakaway-Nylo.../dp/B009SPDU3C

Bruce

NotoriousAPP
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogandboy View Post
    for a throw lever alternative you might try one of these break=away coasters. inexpensive and people use them!
    http://www.amazon.com/Breakaway-Nylo.../dp/B009SPDU3C

Bruce
    Dude, brilliant, thanks for sharing that.