Thread: savage model 111 7mm rem mag questions!

obsessionx

savage model 111 7mm rem mag questions!

I have recently aquired a savage model 111 bolt action rifle with no accutrigger and a sporter barrel. From what I can tell it is fairly old compared to most of my guns. Two questions.
    1) Would I be able to put a heavy barrel on it? - If so recommendations?
    2) I would also like to replace the stock with a decent synthetic one(Im a fan of hogue for their shotgun stocks but know nothing about their rifle stocks.)

Feel free to let me know what you think any advise or suggestions are more then welcome!

End result here is a reliable hobby gun and hunting rifle.

Sent you a PM.

You would be able to put a heavy barrel on it. E.R. Shaw, Criterion or a heavier Savage barrel will do what you want.
    Personally I would consider one of Boyd's laminate stocks but if you are looking for a synthetic then take a look at Stocky's or Hogue.

I have shot the 7mm magnum a lot over the years and IMO the 140gr Berger Hunting VLD is an outstanding choice for a hunting or target bullet. From deer to elk it will get the job done! The 120gr Nosler Ballistic tip is also an outstanding performer in the 7 mag.

obsessionx
    Appreciate the input if anyone else has any thing please to tell!

I have 2 of the pre-accutrigger flat back actions that started life as 7mm mag sporters. One still sits as it came from the factory, the other I have a number of different barrels for.

An action wrench and barrel nut wrench are the tools you need to swap barrels out, some here use go/no-go gauges and some don't. I do.

There are a couple of vendors on here that deal with the aftermarket barrel manufacturers. Apache Gun Works, Sinman, and Jim Broggs of Northland Shooters Supply are the first that come to mind.

Synthetic stock options are fairly limited. Both of mine had the factory wood stocks on them, but I did snag a takeoff detachable mag stock from a member here that is on one. I plan to get a Boyd's tacticool or a Choate Tactical for that one at some point.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

+1 with all the above, for barrels get ahold of Jim at Apache Gunworks. Great guy and builds some of the best barrels I have had yet. Good prices and superb work. I have also done business with Jim Briggs of NSS and Devin of Sinarms. Jim Briggs is very knowledgeable and sells great prefits, full of knowledge. Devin has a great many fans here and does some cool stuff also.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    +1 with all the above, for barrels get ahold of Jim at Apache Gunworks. Great guy and builds some of the best barrels I have had yet. Good prices and superb work. I have also done business with Jim Briggs of NSS and Devin of Sinarms. Jim Briggs is very knowledgeable and sells great prefits, full of knowledge. Devin has a great many fans here and does some cool stuff also.
    +1, your action is easy to do a barrel and or bolt head swap. All the vendors mentioned have excellent quality barrels. With a heavy varmint weight barrel, I really like the Choate Tactical stock with the aluminum bedding block. My 308 shoots like a laser in one.

obsessionx
    Great suggestions I really appreciate it! Any links to where I can get a good action/barrel nut wrench?

I bought my action wrench and barrel nut wrench from Jim Briggs at NSS.

obsessionx
    Okay got my barrel now I just need a good stock that wont break the bank I was thinking choate tactical... thoughts and recommendations?

One of Boyd's.

Boyd's tacticool is a pretty popular offering around here. $109 is a heck of a bargain for it. The Choate is another good one since you mentioned it, but is a bit more expensive.

Basic Member
    Both are good stocks on the tacticool. The reason I'm leaning towards choate over Boyd's is because Boyd's is wood. Which means it will dent and scratch just a little easier and also could expand contract with the weather seasons a little more. The extra $100 is worth the piece of mind to me.

obsessionx
    I went with the choate stock it should be here next week some time I cant wait to put this bad boy together and take her shooting

Quote Originally Posted by obsessionx View Post
    I went with the choate stock it should be here next week some time I cant wait to put this bad boy together and take her shooting
    Of course, we'll need a range report.......

obsessionx
    I have been working 12 hours a day 7 days a week as soon as i get a day off and mount the scope ill post a full range report pictures included!

If you're only working 12 hours a day, that gives you 12 hours per day, 7 days a week to get the scope on and shoot it!

obsessionx
    I like your style richelton! If only I could shoot at night! Legally that is.

obsessionx
    Got some extra time off went to mount my scope and I am under the impression that the UPS guy threw it at my door damaged in shipping New one on the way!. Its been a very strange week here in oak ridge. Damaged goods and someone stole my mail.. reguardless choate stock is a work of art. It will double as a mid evil weapon/club.

Basic Member
    Choate stocks are pretty heavy, it's the downside of them as long as you like that style of grip. I got over it pretty quickly, not really comfortable for me. I'm putting a Manners T3 on my Hog Hunter, it is very expensive though.

obsessionx
    I am 6'4" 200lbs and walk around during shotgun season with a remington sp10 I am used to heavy guns and I am still young so I dont mind it. Down the road i have no doubt ill be switching over to a lighter stock but for now Im going to beat this choate for a few seasons