Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget scope

cranebird

Budget scope

I fell on snow covered ice while coyote hunting and now my scope is stuck in 7x.I need to get another scope and I am financially challenged at this point so I am considering a 2-7x Vortex Diamondback or a Burris Full Field II in 2-7X .It will be on an .223 axis and longest shot will usually be under 200 yards, therefore I am thinking a 2-7x is really all I need ?Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I can't speak for the Vortex, but I know they have a lot of fans on this site. I can say that I like my Fullfield 2's. Very clear, low glare, great value. So both are probably good choices. 2-7 is adequate for 200 yds. Personally, I'd choose a 3-9x, but there's nothing wrong with 2-7x.

cranebird
    Thank you for your opinion. I don't have any experience with either.What little I think I know from the 4-12,the lower the power the better for low light / moonlight situations so I thought 2 would be better but the bell diameter probably allows more light through a 3x9 than a 2-7 ?As you can see I'm either overthinking or I am lost.....I will consider a 3x9,Thank You.

buxman66
    Thats a 3x TO 9x. the power hasnt anything to do w/letting more light in. Thats where the bell diameter comes into play. Like a 3-9x-40, the 40 is the bell diameter end, bigger bell lets in more light.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by buxman66 View Post
    Thats a 3x TO 9x. the power hasnt anything to do w/letting more light in. Thats where the bell diameter comes into play. Like a 3-9x-40, the 40 is the bell diameter end, bigger bell lets in more light.
    Thank you. From what I have been seeing while trying to make up a list of choices,I was seeing that most 2-7x scopes had 34-35 mm bell diameters and 3-9 power scopes usually start with a 40 mm bell diameter, as to why I commented that a 3-9 probably allows more light through than a 2-7.I try to keep it short because I tend to type way too much as a rule. Thank you for confirming that I 'm on the right track , even if I don't explain myself well.

buxman66
    All good! Lol im kinda anal bout details sometimes!

As a general rule, the above is correct. But the quality of the lenses and the coatings on the lenses also plays a huge role. I have a few cheap 50mm objective scopes that are terrible in low light, much worse than some higher quality 40- and 42-mm scopes I have. To some degree, you get what you pay for in optics. But there are several good choices in the $150-200 range, with the Burris the OP mentioned being my favorite. My only gripe with the Burris models is that I have found their lens coatings to be rather fragile, as in easily scratched. But they have also recoated (or replaced?) one of these lenses under warranty for me with a three week turnaround time, including shipping. Very good customer service. Just my opinion though. YMMV.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    As a general rule, the above is correct. But the quality of the lenses and the coatings on the lenses also plays a huge role. I have a few cheap 50mm objective scopes that are terrible in low light, much worse than some higher quality 40- and 42-mm scopes I have. To some degree, you get what you pay for in optics. But there are several good choices in the $150-200 range, with the Burris the OP mentioned being my favorite. My only gripe with the Burris models is that I have found their lens coatings to be rather fragile, as in easily scratched. But they have also recoated (or replaced?) one of these lenses under warranty for me with a three week turnaround time, including shipping. Very good customer service. Just my opinion though. YMMV.

Yeah, that is why I skipped the Vortex crossfire II and was thinking of the Diamondback series. They are boasting 91% light transmission ,Burris is claiming light transmission calculation is 95%, thus my reasoning for those two to choose from but now looking towards a 3-9 in the mix. Thanks.

6.5labs
    I have no personal experience but redfeild has some. 223 scopes in your price range that would be worth looking at. I have heard some good but like i said no personal experience.
    good luck

Basic Member
    My friend has a Redfiled Revenge on his 22 hornet and loves it. it has cool little caped target turrets that you can cover and are finger reset-able no tools required. i have never zeroed a gun so fast. the Nikon Prostafs are the same way and a little cheaper then the Redfiles

Basic Member
    I would steer away from the Diamondback. I had one and I never could get it to focus clearly and it would not hold Zero. (Funny how they always looks clear in the store). On the other hand, the Fullfield 2 is great for the money. I have 3 and never any problems.

Cranebird, if you become a paid member of the site, ($15), you will have access to the classifieds, which is a great resource and well worth the money. Right now "devildogandboy" has two Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 scopes in excellent condition with original packaging for sale for $140 each shipped. So for $155 you would get a great scope for your .223 and a year's worth of full access to the site. This scope normally sells for $200 by the way, and I think it would make you a happy man. BTW, I don't know DD&B, just trying to help you both out.

2111 Marine
    i've got a UTG 6-24x50 on my .308 axis with adjustable parallax and it is a very good quality scope ,so far no problems issues with it and the glass is very clear/crisp even at 24x

Basic Member
    one i'm looking into is the konuspro m30 line been looking at thier 8.5x32x52 and thier 10x40x52 scopes chatted with one guy and he says they are well worth the money (300-400). i'm asking him some questions now about the higher end of the power IE does it dark,cloudy rind on the outside ect he did tell me the ones he looked thru tracked well which is a must i'm like you on a budget (1000.00) so i want the best i can afford right now but it must be able to perform out to 1000 yds .

Joetinva
    I recently put a Redfield Revenge 6x18 on my new 6.5 Creedmoor build and am very pleased with the clarity even at 18 power. I got mine from Killough Shooting. I also like the Mueller scopes.

Might want to check out the new Burris E1 series. Awesome glass for the money. I like em so much I've bought 3 in the last year and I'm convinced you"ll not find a better scope even for close to double the money.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Check out the Mueller line, great scopes for the money IMO.

Basic Member
    Natchez currently has Nikon Buckmasters on sale; good glass with repeatable turrets for the money. I have a couple for hunting that have served me well for a few years now.

JCalhoun
    Leatherwood has some pretty good budget scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Might want to check out the new Burris E1 series. Awesome glass for the money. I like em so much I've bought 3 in the last year and I'm convinced you"ll not find a better scope even for close to double the money.
    I'm glad to read your post regarding the Burris E1 scopes. I've been considering one of the
    Fullfield E1 3-9x40mm Illuminated scopes recently to put on a Savage 99E in .308. Are your E1 scopes illuminated? I've wondered how the brightness adjustment worked and if it doesn't wash out the image in the dark. I want to use this combination for hog hunting at night, and deer hunting next season. I'd sure appreciate hearing more about these scopes if you have time. Thanks a lot!
    Gary

Gary
    The ones I currently have are not illuminated. I have been considering one though. I have found crazy good light transmission that will enable me to see well before and after legal shooting hours across open greenfields when deer hunting. (1/2hr before sunrise and 1/2hr after sunset)They still do well with very little ambient light into darkness but the standard etched reticle becomes hard to pick up then even when you can still see game in the field. of course it's too late to shoot by then and I'm usually just trying to make sure I don't spook anything while getting out of my stand. I do like the adjustments and I have found them to be repeatable when put to the box test. My past Burris product experiences and the price, especially with the rebate they were offering at the time, got me to buy my first E1. I couldn't believe what I got for my money and so as I needed glass I bought 2 more. Yes I have several of the"Gold standard" for hunting rigs as well as several other well known major Brands that are well reviewed and often recommended by others. I have no problem recommending the Burris E1 based on the great performance I've experienced.
    I guess not too many guys have tried em or I'm sure there would be lots more good reviews on em.
    Good luck
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Thanks for the info BHJ! I've researched them a bit and there really aren't any negative comment on them, albeit, there aren't that many reviews out there. I'm setting up the 99 for both deer and hogs, but of course only the hogs will be hunted at night. It just seems sensible to have the illuminated reticle, all other things equal. Amazon, of all places, has had about the best price I've seen lately.

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 on a '42 Swiss K31. I've been impressed with the Bushnell but I don't think the Elite is available with an illuminated reticle. I have been looking at another scope, a Weaver 1.5-4.5x24 Classic Extreme 30mm tube. It has an illuminated dot in the center of the cross-hairs. I have a Weaver V-3 1-4x24 on an FAL and really like it. In fact, that's what I used to kill two hogs last year. I'm thinking this more compact scope might be more at home on the Savage 99. Decisions, decisions.
    Gary

I ordered a Weaver 1.5-4.5x24 Classic Extreme 30mm tube this morning from Natchez. It has an illuminated center dot in the reticle and the straight 30mm tube, no bell, in front. I think it's going to fit good on the Savage 99. I'm using Weaver bases and Warne Maxima TPA rings. Looking forward to murdering some piggies soon with this killin' machine, lol.
    Gary

Crane,
    Magnification does have an affect on brightness. Ever look through a scope at dawn or dusk that was on 10x and then turn it down to 3x? Seems a lot brighter on 3X doesn't it. That is because your eye can accept up to 7mm of light. Without getting into coatings and light transmission..... take the objective bell diameter and divide by the magnification it is set on. 40mm bell divided by 9x gives you roughly 4.2mm of light to your eye. Same scope on 3x will be around 13mm of light which is why it seems so much brighter. Your 2-7x 32 will give you 4.5mm on 7x so in reality you can go with the 27x and have equal to or greater light transmission.

Go put your eye to both of those scopes and pick the one you like best.
    More shooting, less typing.

cranebird
    I finally got off my duff and ordered a scope.I was going to go with a Mueller but it was backordered 16 days so my second choice was a Burris full field II which was also not in stock so my next short lived choice was a Konuspro 3-12x 50 which had a waiting period of 7-16 days as well so finally I settled upon a Sightron SI 3-9x40 which seemed dirt cheap with a lifetime warranty, it will be here Thursday.I bought a Weaver 1 piece base and Weaver quad lock rings in Med & high to sort it out.Later I will pick up Burris zee rings and or another scope if this is not what I was hoping for, always the long road around but ain't it nice ?I could send the stuck Redfield in since it has a warranty but knowing it was my own fault,I can't do that so I choose to learn from my mistake.Thanks for your opinions,did think the leatherwood was what I was looking for,I wish I was able to see the scopes in person before making a decision.It is what I get for living out in the sticks.... Thanks again, Ivan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast