My adult daughter has recently gotten interesting in shooing. We have been going to the range every week. She seems to gravitate to my old Mark I, but does like to shake things up with other weapons as well. I was thinking that a rimfire (probably .22lr) rifle would be a great addition. She has shot several configurations, and does not seem to have a clear preference for type.

If I were buying it for just me, I would get a Savage bolt action with an accutrigger, and a bull barrel. She seems to lean toward semi auto, as she seems to have a little trouble with the bolt on my model 11 in .223. Having said that, I doubt that she would have any trouble with the bolt on a rimfire.

Conventional wisdom suggests the Ruger 10/22 for a semi auto rifle. I know, it isn't a Savage, but that is the consensus of advice I see on .22 rifles.

The other issue is the type of sights. We shoot a lot at the indoor range nearby. Max range is 25 yds. At this distance, a set of iron sights, or a 1x red dot scope would likely be the ticket. We went to the outdoor range yesterday and had a great time, but it is nearly an hour drive, one way. For the longer range, a rimfire style magnifying scope would likely be the ticket. She had a good time shooting an older model 60, with a scope, and was plinking golf balls. Still, I think she would be much happier with a better trigger and action than the model 60.

I'm tempted to get what I would like, and then after she has enough time on it, she can decide what she will like. Advice?