Thread: Looking for a rimfire rifle

clovishound

Looking for a rimfire rifle

My adult daughter has recently gotten interesting in shooing. We have been going to the range every week. She seems to gravitate to my old Mark I, but does like to shake things up with other weapons as well. I was thinking that a rimfire (probably .22lr) rifle would be a great addition. She has shot several configurations, and does not seem to have a clear preference for type.

If I were buying it for just me, I would get a Savage bolt action with an accutrigger, and a bull barrel. She seems to lean toward semi auto, as she seems to have a little trouble with the bolt on my model 11 in .223. Having said that, I doubt that she would have any trouble with the bolt on a rimfire.

Conventional wisdom suggests the Ruger 10/22 for a semi auto rifle. I know, it isn't a Savage, but that is the consensus of advice I see on .22 rifles.

The other issue is the type of sights. We shoot a lot at the indoor range nearby. Max range is 25 yds. At this distance, a set of iron sights, or a 1x red dot scope would likely be the ticket. We went to the outdoor range yesterday and had a great time, but it is nearly an hour drive, one way. For the longer range, a rimfire style magnifying scope would likely be the ticket. She had a good time shooting an older model 60, with a scope, and was plinking golf balls. Still, I think she would be much happier with a better trigger and action than the model 60.

I'm tempted to get what I would like, and then after she has enough time on it, she can decide what she will like. Advice?

Basic Member
    I know this is the savage forum and I don't have a savage 22LR but you can not go wrong with a 10/22, but they have a 6lb trigger pull out of the box from the factory and if you go that way you need a Volquartsen target hammer kit to put in it. it will drop the pull to about 2.5lb doing nothing else. #VC10TH about $40 with freight also a KIDD auto bolt release

Take a look at the Henry with the black painted aluminum receiver cover. Nice shooter, very smooth action and very well priced compared to the brass frame models.

mazda3gun
    Buying a 10/22 just means you have to put more money into to make it do what you want. Not THAT great out of the box IMO, but after another $200, it's awesome.

I'm biased though. I have a Mod. 64 and love it, bought some parts from DIP and it's even more awesome! For less than the total price of a new 10/22...
    I also didn't want what everyone and their brother had either, which is why I bought the Savage 64. Besides, Boyd's now has stocks for the 64's, www.diproductsinc.com makes all the right/truly needed upgrades.

fartsinpublic
    I'd agree with Maz, having a 64 in the safe.

I also have have some Mark IIs, and they're a joy.

Consider the Mark II FVT, and at some point put on a nice Boyd's laminate stock (or a red dot or 3-9 scope) for her. It comes with target peeps, can mount a scope (tapped) and has a bull barrel with a target crown.

Silver Duck
    I have both the 10-22 and a brand new Mark II; I greatly prefer the Mark II. It's amazingly accurate out of the box (sub-MOA) and, as has been said, has a much better trigger. The 10-22 is also pretty accurate, but not quite up to the Mark II.

The 10-22 also has what I consider to be a major design flaw; without either using a boresnake or drilling a hole in the back of the receiver, it is impossible to clean the bore from the breech end without dismounting the barrel. I flat out refuse to go in from the muzzle end!

W/r/t the sights, I've tried both red dot and scope; at least for my 66 year old eyes, the scope yields better results and kids love to suceed but hate to be frustrated by mediocre results. If you do go with a scope, I strongly recommend going with one with a variable objective. That way the targer will be razor sharp at both indoor range and outdoor range distances.

Basic Member
    not to cause a ruckess but a 10/22 classic with a 22" barrel is by far better that a 10/22 carbine 18" barrel out of the box as far as accuracy, I have a Marlin 60 22LR 40 years old, a new Henry and the classic 10/22, looking to add a savage 22lr to my collection to compare them all :) cannot spend to much, the old lady is about to kill me anyway LOL my gun case is over flowing now :)

Call me weird (many do ;>/) but I owned a 10/22 classic and was just not impressed. For all the aftermarket add-ons and accuracy enhancements you could, in my opinion, get a real target drilling machine or build one on a MKII frame.I bought my MKII Classic used and it was super accurate just the way I bought it- the things I've done made it slightly better, but really I could have left it alone. Now if your daughter is into the 10/22 "look" that's another story.

Another deciding factor for me is that Pennsylvania doesn't allow semis to hunt with. I wanted to be able to hunt with what ever I target shot with.

I don't believe you can "go wrong" either way. I personally just don't buy into the 10/22 hype. Best wishes whatever you decide. It's terrific your daughter and you are out there shooting together!

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

clovishound
    My daughter isn't into the 10/22 "look", I just think she prefers semi autos over bolt action, and most people say the 10/22 is the go to for a semi auto .22 rifle . I was not overly impressed with the rental 10/22 we tried out. Of course, that individual had been through the wars. The rear site was broken, and it really needed a good cleaning. I also didn't care much for the bolt release. You seemed to have to hold your mouth just right to get it to work. I believe that was design, rather than poor maint. I think she might like a lever gun, but would like an opportunity for her to try one first. None available for rental here.

The truth is, she seems to prefer handguns over rifles, but she does seem very interested in trying new things, and swapping things out. She did pass on shooting my buddy's Mosin Nagant at the range the other day. That may have been more my discouragement, than a lack of willingness on her part. She often runs a half a box through my .38 at the range without prompting from me, although has never asked to shoot my compact 9mm after running a couple mags through it a couple months ago.

I also agree it is terrific that she has developed an interest that runs with mine. She never showed any interest in shooting growing up. I used to shoot a little back then, and offered a couple times. A few years back I got into it in a bigger way, and offered a time or two, with no results. A couple months ago she said she wanted to try it. I don't think she thought she would enjoy it, or be very good. She was wrong on both counts. Now I have trouble keeping her .22 habit fed.

My favorite .22 is probably always going to be one of my CZ 452s, but I know that's not really sticking to the brief, and that the model has been supplanted by the 455. I've only had a few .22 semi-autos, but the only one that really impressed me out of the box was my T/C Classic, which also isn't made anymore.

I'm not being much help, am I?

Jack1
    Quote Originally Posted by clovishound View Post
    My adult daughter has recently gotten interesting in shooing. We have been going to the range every week. She seems to gravitate to my old Mark I, but does like to shake things up with other weapons as well. I was thinking that a rimfire (probably .22lr) rifle would be a great addition. She has shot several configurations, and does not seem to have a clear preference for type.

If I were buying it for just me, I would get a Savage bolt action with an accutrigger, and a bull barrel. She seems to lean toward semi auto, as she seems to have a little trouble with the bolt on my model 11 in .223. Having said that, I doubt that she would have any trouble with the bolt on a rimfire.

Conventional wisdom suggests the Ruger 10/22 for a semi auto rifle. I know, it isn't a Savage, but that is the consensus of advice I see on .22 rifles.

The other issue is the type of sights. We shoot a lot at the indoor range nearby. Max range is 25 yds. At this distance, a set of iron sights, or a 1x red dot scope would likely be the ticket. We went to the outdoor range yesterday and had a great time, but it is nearly an hour drive, one way. For the longer range, a rimfire style magnifying scope would likely be the ticket. She had a good time shooting an older model 60, with a scope, and was plinking golf balls. Still, I think she would be much happier with a better trigger and action than the model 60.

I'm tempted to get what I would like, and then after she has enough time on it, she can decide what she will like. Advice?

HI. If I can put in my two pennies (cents) worth I have a Volquartsen.22 and a Savage Mark 11 BSEV. AS far as semi auto's are concerned Ruger 10.22s are great and cheaper but I would suggest a replacement trigger with VQ or Timney trigger group at about 2.5 lbs. I use the VQ for faster / action target shooting and the Savage for bench rest type of shooting. That is not to say the VQ would not perform at bench rest but there is something special in operating the bolt and the accutrigger and watching the centre of 25 / 50 (metre over here) disappear. All very relaxing. With regard to sights we have Hawke which I think you do too. I love 'em and have them on my VQ, Savage and Marlin 1894. They are priced mid range and well worth the money.The ammo I use is CCI standard velocity but for competitions I use Ely. The answer? get both mate. That helps a lot don't it?
    Best
    Jack

bremereric
    If the ammo wasn't so hard to find I would go with the heavy barrel B-Mag in mat stainless. The 17 WSM flies at 3000 fps.

Has your daughter tried a Browning SA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I'm going to suggest looking at a Marlin Model 60 or 795 if you are wanting to get a semi auto. The Marlins are generally good accurate rifles out of the box and you don't have to spend money on aftermarket parts to make them accurate.

I vote for the marlin 60 or 795 too . Out of the box more accurate than the ruger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk