Thread: Swede build - Finally got it out to shoot.

Basic Member

Swede build - Finally got it out to shoot.

So, I finished putting this thing together in February and finally got out this past weekend to shot it. All I have to say is that I'm in love with 6.5x55! This is the first time I've ever shot one (decided to build it based on everything I had read). Took a little warming up, as it's been awhile since I've been to the range, and for some reason I had the trigger adjusted higher than usual. All and all I'm super happy with it. Definitely a keeper

This was the best group of the day (6rounds @ 100 yards, shot with PPU 120gr match, plan to start reloading for it soon).

Here's the rifle:
    Savage 111 action w/Accu-trigger
    SSS fluted bolt
    HS Precision stock (take off from 110 FCP)
    Accurate Mag DBM (338 Lapua mags modified to feed 6.5x55)
    Shilen match 6.5x55 - 22" 1-8 twist with brake
    Warne Steel base and rings
    Blackhawk 3-15x50 (Re-branded Weaver)
    GG&G bipod

Basic Member
    It shoots as good as it looks. Congrats.

Team Savage
    Very Nice!

Basic Member
    Thanks guys!

This has been my favorite build yet. I'm really digging the 6.5, and with the brake it's easier than my 223.

scribe308
    Elgin, you must be very happy with this fine machine and it's groupings. I'm thinking other ammo that's better than PPU match would group even tighter. I've never found it to do as good as but your rifle put it to good use!

What did you think of the glass? was it pretty good?

Basic Member
    These scopes are great. I don't have a lot to compare them against glass wise, but I'd say it's just as nice, if not nicer, than the Leupold VX3 and Sightron SIII I have. I really like the mil/mil and first focal plane retical on them. Took the first shot, it was a mil high and just over a mil to the left, adjusted, and next shot was dead on. First time I've ever had that happen. Keep your eyes open for the Blackhawk labelled scopes too. The exact same scope as the non-illuminated Weaver mil/mil (they were labelled Blackhawk and sold as a Cabela's exclusive originally), and can be had for a lot less. I picked up a few, and paid between $400 and $450 for each one brand new in box.

Basic Member
    The PPU match isn't bad for the price, but yeah, I can't wait to get some good hand loads for this one. I got a good deal on some Lapua 136gr Scenars, so I'm going to start reloading the PPU brass with those.

nice>>>>>>>>>
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Nice looking rig, good shooting also! I have a 25+ year love affair with the old swede 6.5, my favorite go to round. My sporter I hunt with I built in 1985 off a unissued Husqvarna 96 rifle. I cut the barrel to 24", recrowned and tapered the steps. I drilled an tapped, forged the bolt down, glass bedded in a Ram Line syn. stock, the parkerized it Mil spec grey, added a Timney featherweight deluxe trigger with safety, set at 2.5 #. I added Redfield base and rings with same metal finish and a 4x12 Burris. After thousands of rounds, gun still shoots .5 moa, has a 7.5 twist will shoot 85, 120 and 140's well under .5 moa with my handloads. I built over 100 of these when I ran a shop full time, and did extensive load workup over 2 years. I bought these in crates of 12 unissued, some with walnut stocks, for $69 each per 12 price back in the early 80's! I can share some kiler loads, that are safe. I use the 120gr for deer hunting here in KY, and have taken a lot of deer from 50-500yds. I built a 6.5x55 on a Savage with a full bull douglas 8 twist that is scary accurate. The only downside to a Swede, is that they kinda ruin all the other calibers.