Thread: pillar bedding axis/boyds

Basic Member

pillar bedding axis/boyds

This turns out to be more fun then I woulda ever guessed!

Removing the boyds shouldered front pillar was a synch. Knocked it right through into the magwell. Sweet right? (Not really but ok its out).

Even using a 500 rpm drill press managed to chip out a little wood in the rear hole. This with a fresh bit mind ya!
    Anyway this quick simple pillar job has turned into pillar and bedded action.

Will be fine just.have to find a better approach before the next one gets here in the morning!

Dirtydeeds
    lol I"m actually in the process of doing this as well in a boyds stock. Just gathering info so I can do it right the first time. lol feel free to post your experience as I'm sure it will help as I try and do mine. :)

I have brass, aluminum and stainless - I'm thinking I may make my pillars out of stainless (same as my action)

You have any issues with the pillars hitting the back cross support in the boyds stock?

jasta
    this might help with bedding... another member gave a great how-to on his Boyds stock.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...edding-an-axis

Be good to see how others go about it..... with pix!

Basic Member
    The drill went past it but just. I used 3/8th bit.

Believe it or not I had a 3/8th lamp rod in the package yet in box of misc up in the attic! Went to look for an old lamp up there and hit gold. (Wonder what else is up there?)

Going to heat the end and use a flare tool to give them nice surface and way to gauge the height. Hopefully will be done tonight.

Should mention this is a prairie hunter.

Dirtydeeds
    Awesome link Jasta! Thanks :)

Basic Member

The repairs with JB Weld worked great. Did in 3 steps.
    Bedded the pillars.
    Filled remaining gaps.
    Bedded action to stock.

Really only caveats are pay attention not to over fill the latch area. Be sure to get an extra 1/4-28 screw. I got a 1 1/2" and double nuts to hold in vise while cutting. Also cleans up the threads when ya take them off.

Now just have to let the finish harden and get the girls out shooting.

Basic Member
    The 2nd stock is going smoother. Drilled from the top into the smaller end of the bushing holding it.from the bottom with a flat blade screwdriver to prevent it from spinning.
    Leaving me with a much cleaner hole to work with.
    Which is nice not having to flare the rod to rebuild the hole this time. Cut to fit rolled In epoxy slipped in. Clean around ends then taped to hold while drying. Standing in a magazine rack to keep the epoxy from running out till it sets up.

Might have to get a Boyds for my .223 too.

Basic Member
    Not the best photo but here is the results of the work in progress. Like watching paint dry. Little clean up. Rough it up bed the action. Good to go. I do want to weigh the rifle in the original stock and again in this for grins. I forgot to on the other but aside from mounts and scopes they are identical .308 Axis rifles.

Basic Member
    Here is what came out. Still semi workable not fully cured.

Next rough it up and spray it with Spar Urethane for a tough rugged finish.

jasta
    looking good

Basic Member
    Thanks. Should be worth the effort. Follow-up shots are kinda tough with the plastic-fantastic bouncy bouncers. Even just plinking tinnies in the back yard.

Dirtydeeds
    I'm having a heck of a time getting devcon 10110 epoxy. Most places sell it by the case.

Basic Member
    I didn't want to order a pound. So went with JB Weld it is holding up well for me. Used it to bed my 7mm rm which is a proven stock buster.

Grainger industrial supply sells Devcon.

Basic Member

# Finally Field Ready !

Team Savage
    Looks great

Dirtydeeds
    They both look very good :)

jasta
    Looks great but do the feel and shoot any better?

Basic Member
    We'll see maybe I'll play with them tomorrow. Been holding off to let the finish harden thoroughly. Hope to get the kids out to 300 and 440 yards next weekend if I can. I only have 100yards here for playing. Thats where I think the stocks will really help their shooting. These are they're hunting rigs the scopes are a 3-9 Leopold Rifleman and a 4-12 Pentax GameSeeker III. So not really expecting match results here.

Basic Member

Range Report

Glad I found time to test the 308's before we go shooting next time.

The Royal Axis made 1 shot and the bolt release lever hung causing the sear to fail. Common issue with these stocks will file it out a little tomorrow and try again.

The Forest Camo Axis gave me this group 6- shots 150gr Federal Blue Box
    1- shot 180gr Winchester (the far right shot).
    I wanted to save the 165gr for next weekend since thats what they sighted in with and seem to provide better accuracy.

As to ths "feel" they feel well balanced and comfortable to shoot.

Not real pleased with the fit of the magazine's. They will need a second look. But I think they may break in so to speak with a little more use.

Overall rating I give 3.5 on a. 1-5 scale.
    Great appearance.
    Great price.
    Exteriors well shaped with only minor sanding they finish out nicely.

On the other hand its sold as 90 percent finished. Exterior does require sanding to get rid of minor rough spots.

The magazine's system of latching is marginal. Seems like there should be a better way.

If those areas can be improved apon these would be top notch.

Would I get another for the Axis? Undecided will get back to you on that.

jasta
    Im having issues with my Boyds conversion. It seems that every time I torque down the action, not by much, it locks up, and yes this has been covered before. This is the second stock that Boyds have sent as the first one was one of the "prototypes" they sent out by mistake, but after fitting the second one its pretty much the same fitment as the first. So Im thinking that pillars are what it might need just to stop the wood compressing. Its sad that I have had to remove wood from the inletting and put pillars in just to make it work and work safe.

For the cash its money well spent if you want to become a gunsmith and learn a little, and they look and feel great but I would recommend looking at the SSS stock next time as they seem the way to go for drop in and shoot.

Good work and thanks for the writeup...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasta View Post
    I would recommend looking at the SSS stock next time as they seem the way to go for drop in and shoot.
    This!!
    Maybe just spending a little more money out front. Grab a Model 14 or 16 Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by jasta View Post
    Im having issues with my Boyds conversion. It seems that every time I torque down the action, not by much, it locks up,
    It sounds like your action screws may be too long, and they're binding against the bolt body or bolt head.

Really? My screws always seem to be too short. Fortunately, a 3/4" long version from the hardware store was just about right.

Sure. Action screws that are too long will protrude into the bolt's space and can definitely bind the bolt or at least limit it's motion. Not saying that's necessarily jasta's exact problem, but it's certainly a possibility.