Thread: Seeking input for purchase

Seeking input for purchase

A few years ago, I purchased one of the Savage heavy barrel rifles in cal .308. I heard it was a tack driver. When I took it to the range there were a few misfires. I got the distinctive "click" and no response. Thinking it was a hang fire, I did the obligatory wait (I counted to 10) and ejected the round. There wasn't even a dent on the primer. This happened more than once. When I could get it to shoot though, it was very accurate. Long story short, I sold the rifle.

I'm willing to give Savage another try but this time I'm looking for a sport barrel and I'm thinking something like the Trophy Hunter in cal .308. I'm pretty solid on the sport barrel, I have another heavy barrel .308 and I don't need another one.

Any similar experiences or thoughts?

Thanks

stewart3
    Go for it you won't be disappointed. I don't even shoot my non-savage rifles anymore. They are easily upgraded, lots of aftermarket parts and as far as this forum goes a lot of very informed folks willing to help out with little to no negative feedback.

Basic Member
    The "misfire" you described was, in all likelihood, the result of the Accutrigger being "pulled" incorrectly. It has a safety blade that must be fully pressed straight-back before pressing the main trigger rear-ward. If, by chance, you "fat-finger" the trigger, or for any other reason press the trigger from the side or something before the safety blade is pressed all the way back, the sear will partially release and it will fall against the safety trigger, which blocks the sear from falling all the way down, striking the firing pin.

It is important to clear that blade first, then press the trigger.

Also, if the trigger is set too light, it may fall on its own or when closing the bolt. The blade, in this case, is also blocking the sear from falling all the way down.

It seems some people are never able to first press that blade correctly and therefore struggle with the Accutrigger. It is a shame, because it is a great feature that allows one to carry a very light trigger in the field in relatively safe condition. If you find it a problem, I suggest you get the Savage anyways. It shouldn't be a "deal breaker". Just replace the Accutrigger with one of maybe 3-4 different aftermarket triggers such as the SSS Competition Trigger from Sharp Shooter Supply. They run around $100 and make for a great shooting rifle.

Vince
    So a simple, I'm a simple guy, way of looking at the Savage trigger would be to think of it like a Glock trigger, no?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    So a simple, I'm a simple guy, way of looking at the Savage trigger would be to think of it like a Glock trigger, no?
    A bit more than that, but essentially, yes. If it's not your cut of tea, the Rifle Basix triggers are quite good

Basic Member
    It looks like a Glock trigger, but it operates differently. The Savage trigger blade just blocks the sear from falling all the way down if the blade is not pushed back, out of the way of the sear. It is very simple, but must be fully depressed to clear the sear. The GLock is different.

stewart3
    As jbjh mentioned the rifle basix are great and they can be had for about $80. If the accutrigger doesn't do it for ya a lot of people like them so resale is possible. I use them but I like the rifle basix better. Also, fellas have tuned the non accutriggers well I haven't done it personally but have shot one that felt very good.

Here's a pretty good instructional video on the Accu-trigger if that was your previous problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXNKD9A-vXo

Vince
    Thank you Mike.
    That video helped explain a lot. I'll give the Accutrigger a try.