Thread: Advice?

madarcher427

Advice?

Iam in the market for a new rifle . Iam wanting to set up a long range hunting model in a .308. I am looking at the pc10 5r & the FCP SR. What aftermarket trigger do you recommend ? I ve also been looking at stocks. Also are there any good gunsmiths for savage? I would like to know how the 5R compares to the standard barrel on the PC 10.

I had a PC 10 in a .223 & loved it .It was very accurate.

A couple questions before we get started. What do you consider to be long range? And what are you hunting at those ranges?
    More shooting, less typing.

emtrescue6
    Both of those rifles are capable of 1000 yard work with the right load development and a great deal of trigger time along with good optics and a little tuning. I have a buddy smacking metal at 1000 with a pc10 and loves it....he's shooting handloaded long-range Nosler Accubonds (can't remember the weight). He's happy with the accutrigger so hasn't hanged it out yet. I also have a brother that just recently acquired a FCP SR and has been working up a long range load and last I knew he had walked it out to 600 with just a little tuning on the rifle. I have a 10 FLCP-K in 308 and have walked mine out to 500 so far with 168g Nosler Custom Competition's...I am going to try the 175's next though and see if I can tighten up my groups...point is, all three rifles are pretty much barefoot (factory) with some tuning and they all shoot very well when we do our jobs. I am not sure I have seen any noticeable difference between my brothers 10 FCP SR with the 5R barrel and the standard barrels on our rifles on the range.

madarcher427
    For me my farthest shot will be around 600. I do have a buddy with a 1000yrd range in WV. I hope to go see. i plan on going to get some long range training . For hunting mostly whitetails. Maybe a hog hunt one of these days as well.

stewart3
    The rifle basix are great drop in triggers easy to install and tune. I have the sav1 and have it tuned to 2.5lbs. Jim at nss has them listed for $85. I don't like my accutriggers they just feel off with the safety blade. Although, they are easy to tune and have a crisp release without any creep