Thread: Pillar Bedding a Savage Axis into a Boyd Stock.

Dirtydeeds

Pillar Bedding a Savage Axis into a Boyd Stock.

I just got my Boyds Prairie Hunter Stock and I think I may have to bed the action. It looks like the entire action is free floated (Pic2) If I'm going to do it I was thinking I may as well go all the way and pillar bed as well. The issue I am noticing is on the back part of an axis the trigger assembly sits between the action and stock. It looks like if I tried to do a complete bedding job there is a good chance the trigger assembly could get stuck in position. Has anyone done one of these before? Do you have any advice?

I've done a lot or research on this, I've read multiple post on bedding etc but I can't find anything specific to an axis. I've seen plenty for rem700's, t3's etc but nothing for an axis. Any help would be appreciated.

Image 1 of 2
    [IMG][/IMG]

Image 2 of 2
    [IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    Did 2 of them . Be careful getting bedding compound in the barrel lug notches. The notches will trap the barrel in. Just tape the lug or fill the notches with putty or pull the action out before the compound settles 100% . Had to knock the barrel pretty hard to break booth mine out. In the rear just put a little bit of the bedding stuff, I didn't have any issues. Just used some 1/4 I'd steel tubing my friend found me for pillars and drilled out the holes with a press. Don't forget to put release agent on the screw holes.

When dropping the action into the stock and turning the screws I got a lot of compound in the receiver. Just have inside of receiver coated with release agent and try and remove as much as you can before it dries. Don't know of a better way around this. Anyone else know?

Dirtydeeds
    Was it hard to knock out the existing pillars? They look like they go in approx 1/2 inch.

How far back did you go with the bedding compound?

For the front lug, did you epoxy that in place? Clear out some space around the back like a regular lug and just epoxy it in?

Basic Member
    Didn't knock out existing pilers just left it in. Only went from barrel but to mag well and a little under the rear action screw hole. Didn't do anything with front lug, just sneered some acura glass fell all around and dropped he action in. Did a little dremmel work just to rough up the stock a little to help the compound to stick.

Joetinva
    I have done 3 builds with pillar bedding. All of my actions only make contact on the pillars and recoil lug. They shoot so well I haven't done any glass bedding. I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Dirtydeeds
    So I finally did it. Finally got it to the range two weeks ago. I've also started reloading my own cartridges over the winter. My second round in I did a 3/4 group.

I made my own pillars using stainless steel. I made sure to grove the outsides to ensure more surface area for the compound. The bedding compound I used was a stainless based compound similar to dexion but the loctite brand. I made the front pillar longer than the stock pillar. I brought the pillar right up to the bottom of the magazine tab. Eventually I will replace it with either a piece of aluminum or SS. The way it sits right now the screw sits inside of the hole and ensures the magazine tab can't move. I had to buy new screws. I bought some which use a bigger allan key in the head as I got tired of stripping the factory screw heads. I also rounded out the bolt heads for cosmetic reason instead of leaving them looking like stock socket head cap screws.

Over all I'm really happy with the difference in performance and once I get my cartridge loads worked out I'm sure this thing will be a tac driver.

Team Savage
    Looks great, outstanding shooting